VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Records

Rate this question

mrjenks

Question

I am totally confused on this issue. I recently was medically retired due to DM II not being under control (Long Story). I was at 23 years, I think they just pushed me out. Anyways I started my process in Sept to get set-up for my C&P exam. Turned in my records to VA and did everything I was supposed to. I still yet to get my C&P exam and I officially retire on Nov 28. My VA rep (who is awesome and is very helpful) have been on these guys and the last word he got is that they are awaiting my Service Records. My VA rep is dumbfounded because he has never heard of that. I mean they have all of my medical records that I turned in back in Sep. My VA rep thinks I might have a individual that doesn't have a clue in handling VA claims and it is costing me time. Has anyone ever heard of the VA requesting Service Records for an individual just to get an C&P exam....my VA rep is confused as well as I am. He is working the issue so I'm not worried on his part, but the VA is leaving a bad taste so early on in the process.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Obtaining service records is standard procedure.

Your DMII is documented in the SMRs but maybe the actual medical retirement paperwork is not complete yet?

Because you said today is your official retirement date.

A C & P doctor should consider the inservice records in most types of claims.

mrjenks,

I was medically retired as well. I went through the PEB board, got my results in APril or May 2007. I wasn't offically retired until August 1, 2007. The VA didnt receive paperwork of the decision until Octoboer 2007. I was just trying to give you an example that happened in my case. Yes your may be different.

Did you make a copy of your own serivce medical records?

You should have been given the results of the PEB, which will have the percentage results and state whether you are on PDRL or TDRL. I would submit that as well. If you have a a copy of that and your own recrods, I would send it to the VARO express mail, with verification that they rec'd it. This should help clear up some of the time line. I understand this is a long process, when in reality, it should be a "no brainer" since you were retired medically. SOmething to remember FYI, the military does have a tendancy to low ball ratings. They typically just say are they fit or unfit for duty. The VA does the impact on occupational earnings. The VA does not do a quality of life, which is retarded but, that is the way the system currently is.

I hope I helped a little, sorry if I rambled on. Good luck

Semper Fi

mrjenks,

I was medically retired as well. I went through the PEB board, got my results in APril or May 2007. I wasn't offically retired until August 1, 2007. The VA didnt receive paperwork of the decision until Octoboer 2007. I was just trying to give you an example that happened in my case. Yes your may be different.

Did you make a copy of your own serivce medical records?

You should have been given the results of the PEB, which will have the percentage results and state whether you are on PDRL or TDRL. I would submit that as well. If you have a a copy of that and your own recrods, I would send it to the VARO express mail, with verification that they rec'd it. This should help clear up some of the time line. I understand this is a long process, when in reality, it should be a "no brainer" since you were retired medically. SOmething to remember FYI, the military does have a tendancy to low ball ratings. They typically just say are they fit or unfit for duty. The VA does the impact on occupational earnings. The VA does not do a quality of life, which is retarded but, that is the way the system currently is.

I hope I helped a little, sorry if I rambled on. Good luck

Semper Fi

The Air Force gave me a 20% and PDRL. I didn't turn that paperwork in because my VA rep said it didn't matter, because the VA will give their own rating. He has been doing this for years so I went with what he said. I will inquire about it with him monday.

Yes, I have a disc with all my medical records on it....the Air Force provides you with a paper copy and a disc copy. The Paper copy was turned into the VA in September to start my process.

Thanks for the responses.

Is this the same rep you told you the other stuff?

I cannot imagine not turning in as evidence anything that supports your rating.

The VA could give you same rating as the Mil did or find that it is not high enough.

Either way you could NOD any decision you dont like from the VA (unlike from the Mil)

I too had vet rep with about 20 years claims experience. I was instrumental in getting him demoted to a position in which he no longer can rep veterans.

IS this a VA employee or a veteran';s org vet rep?

I might be misunderstanding all this- YOU are the best vet rep you will ever have.

If something doesnt seem right in the advise you get by all means question it or ask us here.

I realize that he could be 100% correct but I am shocked that he was surprised they asked for your service records.

Maybe you are talking here about two different reps.

If a C & P doc doesn't have your Mil records and/or the PEB findings as to disability- the C & P results could end up denying you a VA rating.

"I recently was medically retired due to DM II not being under control (Long Story). I was at 23 years,"

PS did he mention at all that you might be eligible for CRDP?

You mean 23 years of service right? or 23 years old?

Do you have any additional documented disabilites that could be due to the DMII? Like heart disease, TIAs, peripheral neuropathy, renal problems, vision problems, ED - etc etc and if so did he tell you to claim them all?

Are you insulin dependent?

"The Air Force gave me a 20% and PDRL. I didn't turn that paperwork in because my VA rep said it didn't matter, because the VA will give their own rating. He has been doing this for years so I went with what he said. I will inquire about it with him monday. "

Real Good Idea.

mrjenks,

You can't get PDRL with just 20%. You must be more then 30% to be considered medically retired, otherwise you are just considered medically separated. Either way the findings shoudl be turned in. The VA will look at their findings and in most cases at the bare minimum except them. They most likely would give you a higher rating if you meet the criteria. If they deny you then, you can NOD and start the appeals process if you feel you meet the requirements for higher evaluations. The key to this claims process is for you to be proactive and become knowledgable about your case and disabilities. MOst VSOs try and help but generally are helping many veterans at once and it is hard for them to devote all their attention to your claim. I'm not saying don't use the veteran service reps but make sure you do the homework and research. Don't leave it up to someone to do it for you becuase in most instances, you will be disappointed.