VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After The Emg/nerve Study?

Rate this question

mac mcqueen

Question

I file a claim to increase my rating in left knee due to another Surgery for tourn Cartlage. The VA scheduled a C/P and I went they where looking at the leg for other reason such as loss of feeling and pain. I resenly had spinal fusion of the L-4 and L-5. Since the fusion on a follow-up visit the nero doc stated the bones didn't fuse quickly ennough and the bones shifted causing them to agian inpinge on the nerve. He claimed that the impingment was causing the pain as before. This is the second surgery on my back in the last two years. I was rated already 50% on the back and didn't file for anything additional because I figured that I was already at the max except the Conv. Now they requested this C/P for a EMG and Nerve study, which I don't won't to every have agian. It hurt like hell. Anyway the Doc after the test stated that I had a slight decrease in the leg nerves due to wearing Boots and tight jeans. I'm 55 and haven't wore boots for over 10 years as well as the tight jeans. I still have muscel problems. By the end of the day I have to lift my leg with My hands and put in the truck, for lack of strenght to do otherwise. The pain in my buttocks and down both legs have increased and now after this test has been done, I don't know what the cause might be. I thought it was the nerves, but after what the EMG/Nerve study showes, What might it be, anyone else have any ideas as to the problem so I can go the correct doctor and find out. It can't be normal to not lift your leg or have control over such an apentage. Thanks Ret. MSgt McQueen

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

deviant,

EMG's and MRI's are completely different. An MRI cannot tell if you have nerve damage, but an EMG can. However, an MRI can tell if you have something impinging on your nerve or nerve roots.

Relative equipoise may very well apply in your case.

Also, don't discount the MH clinic (either VA or private). If they deem your anger is caused by your potentially SC condition, then once you get SC then you could work toward getting SC for a MH condition. A lot of other people here on Hadit have done it too. You might want to start visiting the MH clinic now, so that when you do become SC for your condition, you will be able to file for a secondary MH condition. Some MH conditions might require six or more months to accurately diagnose.

Best of luck!

50% mood disorder, depression

30% c3-c6 disc extrusion/ spondylosis/ stenosis? and pain

10% radiculapathy

Trying for increase and or TDIU/ IU at the moment

Good luck to you as well and watch yourself with all those steroids it says on the labels they do weaken your immune system. I was getting the shot and the methylprednisone and after numerous hospital visits came down with MRSA

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

deviant,

MSRA? Yikes... I don't want that. One good thing is the VAMC has these hand sanitizer stations all over the place.

old joe,

I doubt it is carpal tunnel, as it happened suddenly after they injected me, but it has not completely gone away.