VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Questions

Rate this question

marl00

Question

We applied for increases June, 2009. We applied for TDIU in Nov, 2009. According to VARO via phone, we were increased to 80% (combined 70/10). The letter is not received yet and VARO said the digital copy doesnt show anything on TDIU.

Does VARO, also decide on TDIU also? Or shall we expect another letter from elsewhere? (We sent in the paperwork from date last worked/last 12 months from our employer.)

Do we disqualify for TDIU if we are receiving disability payments; from employers plans that we paid for when we were working?

Would start date, if TDIU was granted, start from Nov.09 or increase applied for or date when 70% was granted or retro back to when?

Thank you all in advance.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

At the VA 70% + 10% is 73% rounded down to 70% but you can still get TDIU at least. The effective date can be a surprise as the VA does not act in a logical or reasonable way but you are lucky as you will soon know.

Good Luck

Thanks Pete. Yes, you are right. 70/10 does not equal 80%. We called yesterday as we are more pursuant on picking up the phone and asking directly nowadays. The rep at VARO said, from what they could read, it was raised to 80%. So will wait for the large envelope>?.

While on the phone with the VARO rep, we asked about the TDIU, according to VARO-- its why the claim was taking longer to see any "new" info on their screen. The screen was waiting for the documents from our employer. So we made sure they were inputted and then waited as the VARO rep said they had to reply within a certain time limit (which was two weeks ago).

Then we were thinking, probably they won't grant TDIU, due to our contributions we made over the years to cover our income in case of unable to work. ~When you are young and healthy, who figures you are ever going to need income disability insurance?~

So if anyone knows about private disability insurance income and whether it precludes one from TDIU benefit, please let me know. Not sure this is income based? :(

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you complete the IU forms?

Most likely the VA will not grant IU unless it is spacifically requested and the forms are complete.

Employers disability plans are insurance policies and they should not effect your IU.

J

• HadIt.com Elder
We applied for increases June, 2009. We applied for TDIU in Nov, 2009. According to VARO via phone, we were increased to 80% (combined 70/10). The letter is not received yet and VARO said the digital copy doesnt show anything on TDIU.

Does VARO, also decide on TDIU also? Or shall we expect another letter from elsewhere? (We sent in the paperwork from date last worked/last 12 months from our employer.)

Do we disqualify for TDIU if we are receiving disability payments; from employers plans that we paid for when we were working?

Would start date, if TDIU was granted, start from Nov.09 or increase applied for or date when 70% was granted or retro back to when?

Thank you all in advance.

How many of "you" applied for TDIU?

On the same date?

And, how many of you are receiving disability payments "from employers"?

Sorry for the questions.............I'm just trying to get a "group-picture" sort of thing in my head.

Regardless, if you haven't filled out and filed the form 21-8940, then nothing is going to happen.

Edited by LarryJ

Thanks for the great info.

Great to know about the private disability income.

Ah, just to explain, the "we" is me and my better half. I don't want to take away anything away from my better half who was the one who was deployed. I was the one who got to sleep in a real bed with no mortars exploding in my backyard, of which I am eternally grateful to our soldiers, so that I CAN sleep in a quiet night. My better half was deployed three times, DS '91, Afghan '04, IraQ 07-8.

I am just the person who stays at home, making sure the home and kids are taken care of and bills paid for by working parttime, who makes sure the stacks of laundry are done, pets are fed and taken in, then out, sends out Xmas gifts to family members on behalf of all of us here, make meals, pack lunches, drive errands, do pickups, deal with school, assure the kids, talk on phone to friends and family to ask how my soldier is doing, do home groceries and pack up APO packages then waits in long lines at the post office, stays up late to make sure the day loose ends are done and wake up at 4am so I can go online(time difference) and wait to see if my soldier needs to talk to me, then doubly clean the house so when my soldier returns, the house and our home looks like we never had issues. This last time, I ended finishing the remodeling kitchen and downstairs bathroom that we started before we got the "alert". I thought I'd never finished but it was a blessing at times too. I recall those nights when all I could do was collapse on the unmade bed and close my eyes for just a second, and it was 4 am again. :(

Sorry, not a "we", just one person who asks questions here on behalf of my soldier.

Thank you all for the information and your service to our country.