VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File?

Rate this question

Sgt Schmidt

Question

I have been told by many of the doctors I see that I'm borderline diabetic and to watch my diet. The last readings I had for my blood surgar were 124, 124, 147, and 178. I know I should ask for a A1C test but it will be 2 or 3 months before I see my VA PCP. Should I file a claim for DMII or wait until I get a solid diagnosis.

Sorry if this has been answered in a previous post.

Jeff

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

That is a hard one to call-the HBIAC test would confirm whether or not you are diabetic.

Were these Oral Glucose Tolerance tests results?

If you do not have hyperlipedemia in your work work or any high Tryglycide readings- maybe best to wait.

Also abnormal BUN and creatinine levels can suggest diabetes too but your doctor has surely considered all of those factors already.

Watching one's diet and getting exercize is the best way to avoid this disease.

Diabetes doesn't kill anyone-it's complications do.

My cholesterol levels are always high, (upper 200 to 300 range) and my triglycerides were over 900 when I had my liver and lipid profiles done the first time by my family doc. The tests were done from blood work up.

Jeff

That is a hard one to call-the HBIAC test would confirm whether or not you are diabetic.

Were these Oral Glucose Tolerance tests results?

If you do not have hyperlipedemia in your work work or any high Tryglycide readings- maybe best to wait.

Also abnormal BUN and creatinine levels can suggest diabetes too but your doctor has surely considered all of those factors already.

Watching one's diet and getting exercize is the best way to avoid this disease.

Diabetes doesn't kill anyone-it's complications do.

My cholesterol levels are always high, (upper 200 to 300 range) and my triglycerides were over 900 when I had my liver and lipid profiles done the first time by my family doc. The tests were done from blood work up.

Jeff

I'd want to know what those liver enzymes test test results were all about.....high lipids and triglicerides can elevate liver enzymes and high numbers in the cholesterol and tricligercide arena are not good for the liver at all....fatty liver.

As Berta mentions, it's not the DM2 that's the killer, it's the complications and more importantly, not doing anything about them. I'd get on that one like now. Creatinine measures your kidney function so were I you, I'd want that Hemoglobin A1C test done, and even then....it only gives the doctor an "average" blood sugar for the previous 3 months....it's the highs and lows, the peaks in sugar and the drops in blood sugar that do the damage. Keeping your blood sugar within guidelines as much as possible to avoid those peaks and valleys are best - and, if you do so, your A1C will always be within the norm.

My husband was dx diabetic in 1992, sugar over 400, classic symptoms of excessive thirst, nighttime leg cramps, lost his crystal clear eye sight for 4 months....and it wasn't until then he finally went to the doctor (doctors are the worst patients). As soon as the sugar levels dropped, his eyesight came back, leg cramps ended and he did eventually need insulin. Diet and exercise was not enough. AO destroyed his pancreas and so be it. Without insulin, he wouldn't be here today. We used to treat the diabetes as a daily battle......now, 17 years later, we treat it as a daily "adjustment". His endo doc is private practice and the smartest cookie in the jar with absolutely no personality. We don't need a doctor with personality, the smartest cookie (no pun intended) is more important. This guy can figure out exactly how many calories my husband is consuming by looking at his weight, his blood tests, A1C and his log book. It took my husband the former doctor to realize after 10 years he wasn't getting anything by this guy and so he now listens to his advice and follows it.

Good Luck to you....

• HadIt.com Elder

Sgt

If the readings you quote were fasting glucose levels I think you probably do have DmII. I would file for it. Until some doctor states you have DMII it does not matter what your tests say. Get the C&P exam at least because you are so close to constant readings above 126 and that is the artificial cutoff. Do you have any secondary conditions you know about? You can have artery disease where there is calcification building up in your arteries and you won't even know it, but that is a sure sign something ain't right. A CT scan of your legs will show it. The big worry to me is that with your high levels cholesterol there is a build up of plac in your arteries and DMII makes it worse. This may lead to heart disease and/or stroke. You should try to get a DX of DMII before you fill but I think I would file anyway. I filed when I had fasting glucose levels over 126 but not much over. The C&P doctor took one look at my numbers and took a look at my lower legs and said "You got it all right".

I have 4 stints, high blood pressure, glucoma, and COPD + chronic brochitis. I was also told I had a leaky heart valve the last time I had a cath done. When I had my heart attack back in 06 they said 12% of my heart muscle was damaged.

I go in this Friday for another heart cath and echo because of chest pain and shortness of breath without very little exertion. If I split 2 pieces of wood I get chest pain, etc. My cardiologist said not to split wood or even play golf in my front yard. :-) Basically, do nothing!!!

Hopefully they can get all my pipes cleaned out this time. :-)

Jeff

PS - I would just like to thank everyone in/on this forum for all the suggestions, help, and friendliness. This is defentantly a "GREAT" group.....

Sgt

If the readings you quote were fasting glucose levels I think you probably do have DmII. I would file for it. Until some doctor states you have DMII it does not matter what your tests say. Get the C&P exam at least because you are so close to constant readings above 126 and that is the artificial cutoff. Do you have any secondary conditions you know about? You can have artery disease where there is calcification building up in your arteries and you won't even know it, but that is a sure sign something ain't right. A CT scan of your legs will show it. The big worry to me is that with your high levels cholesterol there is a build up of plac in your arteries and DMII makes it worse. This may lead to heart disease and/or stroke. You should try to get a DX of DMII before you fill but I think I would file anyway. I filed when I had fasting glucose levels over 126 but not much over. The C&P doctor took one look at my numbers and took a look at my lower legs and said "You got it all right".