VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Opinion From Vamc For Dic Claim

Lzjump

Question

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone with a DIC claim that went to a vamc for a medical opinion ever contacted the Doctor who was reviewing the file to give a medical opinon. My DIC claim was remanded in August 08, In August 09 it was sent to the VAMC for a Medical Opinion, AMC received the medical opinion September 09, In November 09 it was sent back to the VAMC because the Dr. did not Sign stating that he had reviewed the C File, December 09 it is again being sent back to the VAMC for what I do no know yet.( this makes 3 times claim has been sent out for review) If I know the doctor at the vamc who is reviewing the file for a medical opinon and I can get in touch with him is it possible to talk to him about my claim or is that not allowed by the VA. Also I do have documentation that my husband had an Acute Myocardial Infracture with a left branch bundle block but I do not want to file for this yet as I was told it would slow my claim down. I'am thinking if they deny my claim on remand than I will have this to fall back on... He is a Vietnam Vet, Boots on the Ground and was SC for DB and PN among other things prior to his death. Thanks for any info

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Heart disease is now a AO presumptive condition.

You should remind the RO of that and do it quiclky.

J

Bundle Branch....? My husband has had 2 EKG studies done and both show incomplete left bundle branch block....he's DM2, HBP, etc....perhaps we need to get his DM2 claim re-opened. He is DM2 AO sc...

Lzjump....thanks for lighting the bulb above my head on this.

I'll check into this with his doctors this week.

Lzjump asked:

"If I know the doctor at the vamc who is reviewing the file for a medical opinon and I can get in touch with him is it possible to talk to him about my claim or is that not allowed by the VA"

"He is a Vietnam Vet, Boots on the Ground and was SC for DB and PN among other things prior to his death. Thanks for any info "

I have done that- but only after the opinions were generated.And in one situation many many years after the opinion was rendered and that claim was over.The doctor welcomed my call,remembered my claim well although it had been many years, and did not find my call to be inappropriate at all.We had an important discussion.

But I dont recommend doing this at this point in your case.

Most DIC claims depend on medical evidence that links the fatal conditions to a service connected disability.There are other ways to get DIC but this is the most common type of DIC claim.

I see many DIC claims these days that are denied until the widow obtains a strong independent medical opinion because often no autopsy was done and the death certificate contains limited information as tocause and contributing factors of death.

I really dont recommend contacting any VA doctor who is opining on a current claim.

Unless the circumstances are unusual (in my case they were)

I know a vet who almost got kicked out of the VA doc's office for trying to pressure the doctor into a favorable statement.I know you wouldnt do that but

you will have opportunity to get copy of the VA opinion and then appeal anything about it that is not correct.

The best challenge to a negative VA opinion is an IMO from a doctor who has every medical record available and who has expertise in the field of disability that contributed to death.

The doctor I mentioned who I called-

years after the fact (2 opinions from him that denied my claim but that I knocked down-with medical evidence) had not been given the most important documented evidence I had- the veteran's autopsy.

12 copies sent to the RO and they removed it from the C file to get his negative opinion.

He felt this had been highly unusual that this was withheld from him- and that his opinion would have been vastly different if he had the autopsy.

You could check with the doctor's secretary-I think this would be OK to do- to see that all of the evidence is available in the record for his opinion.

Bundle Branch....? My husband has had 2 EKG studies done and both show incomplete left bundle branch block....he's DM2, HBP, etc....perhaps we need to get his DM2 claim re-opened. He is DM2 AO sc...

Lzjump....thanks for lighting the bulb above my head on this.

I'll check into this with his doctors this week.

VetsLady,

When you find out what the doctor says about the incomplete left bundle branch block Please let me know. Thanks

Lzjump asked:

"If I know the doctor at the vamc who is reviewing the file for a medical opinon and I can get in touch with him is it possible to talk to him about my claim or is that not allowed by the VA"

"He is a Vietnam Vet, Boots on the Ground and was SC for DB and PN among other things prior to his death. Thanks for any info "

I have done that- but only after the opinions were generated.And in one situation many many years after the opinion was rendered and that claim was over.The doctor welcomed my call,remembered my claim well although it had been many years, and did not find my call to be inappropriate at all.We had an important discussion.

But I dont recommend doing this at this point in your case.

Most DIC claims depend on medical evidence that links the fatal conditions to a service connected disability.There are other ways to get DIC but this is the most common type of DIC claim.

I see many DIC claims these days that are denied until the widow obtains a strong independent medical opinion because often no autopsy was done and the death certificate contains limited information as tocause and contributing factors of death.

I really dont recommend contacting any VA doctor who is opining on a current claim.

Unless the circumstances are unusual (in my case they were)

I know a vet who almost got kicked out of the VA doc's office for trying to pressure the doctor into a favorable statement.I know you wouldnt do that but

you will have opportunity to get copy of the VA opinion and then appeal anything about it that is not correct.

The best challenge to a negative VA opinion is an IMO from a doctor who has every medical record available and who has expertise in the field of disability that contributed to death.

The doctor I mentioned who I called-

years after the fact (2 opinions from him that denied my claim but that I knocked down-with medical evidence) had not been given the most important documented evidence I had- the veteran's autopsy.

12 copies sent to the RO and they removed it from the C file to get his negative opinion.

He felt this had been highly unusual that this was withheld from him- and that his opinion would have been vastly different if he had the autopsy.

You could check with the doctor's secretary-I think this would be OK to do- to see that all of the evidence is available in the record for his opinion.

Berta,

Thanks for the reply, I thought it would be frowned upon but I would certainly not try to pressure the doctor. Do you have any thoughts on the Acute Myocardial Infracture with left branch bundle block? I do have all the EKG's and doctors notes from the hospital but do not want to open another can of worms right now.

The VA allready has the doctor's reports with the diagnosis of the Acute Myocardial Infracture and I know that it has not been set in stone yet. My thinking is to let my claim progress and if I do get a denial from the AMC then I will send this information in to support my claim. Any replys would be greatly appreciated. Thank You