VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying For Disability Due To Parkinson's

Big Pat

I am writing this for my father who was in vn and has developed Parkinson's due to exposure for AO. Due to it just recently being associated with AO and Parkinson's, do I need to help him to refile his paperwork to get an upped coverage? Also if anyone knows this as well. Since it is now connected, is there some way for him to get backpay for the 20+ years he has lived with it? He is just now 62 so it hit him early on.

I appreciate any help on this! Good to know there is a place to go when you need to discuss this stuff.

Big Pat

Edited by Big Pat

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should re-open his claim ASAP.

Once the regulations are posted in the Federal Register and then after about 60 days there open for public comments-then the regulations will get into 38 CFR and M21-1.

These claims under the new presumptives are in a holding pattern awaiting the formal regs but it pays to get the claim filed ASAP.

If he was denied in the past for Parkinsons I am assuming but not yet 100% sure that the Nehmer court order will kick in and provide some vets with very favorable EEDs.

This would depend however on being denied in the past on what is now an AO presumptive condition.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am a bit fuzzy with some of the terms though. I am fairly new to this.

I will work with him and fill out the paperwork again ASAP.

What is a favorable EED? I am not sure of the definition of this so I apologize. Would he be eligible for the past 20 years since it was diagnosed or just since they said PD was associated?

Thanks for the patience to help me work through this stuff.

Big Pat

• HadIt.com Elder
He should re-open his claim ASAP.

Once the regulations are posted in the Federal Register and then after about 60 days there open for public comments-then the regulations will get into 38 CFR and M21-1.

These claims under the new presumptives are in a holding pattern awaiting the formal regs but it pays to get the claim filed ASAP.

If he was denied in the past for Parkinsons I am assuming but not yet 100% sure that the Nehmer court order will kick in and provide some vets with very favorable EEDs.

This would depend however on being denied in the past on what is now an AO presumptive condition.

I'd fill out a form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim (fillable and printable from the VA.gov website under the heading "forms").

Simply tell them, in your (his) own words that you are claiming prior diagnosed PD under the newly arrived at association with AO exposure. And, I would also ask, in a seperate paragraph, same form, that you are seeking "the maximum percentage allowable per the CFR".

Then, in paragraph #3, mention, as Berta has so ably pointed out, that, according to the Nehmer decision, you are seeking the earliest legally established effective date.

By-the-way, EED stands for "Earliest Effective Date", which is, simply, the earliest date for a claim to be established and retroactive payments "paid back to". It can be mucho, mucho dinero, si'?

If you choose not to use a Veterans Service Organization (Disable American Veterans, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans Association, VFW, etc.), then, when sending something in yourself, make sure to send it with "Delivery Confirmation" (I have just sent my mailings to them via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, but others advocate sending stuff to them where they have to sign for it, but, whatever........).

If you do, or are, using a Veterans Service Organization (VSO), then make sure that you feel comfortable with the relationship. And, no, there is no charge for them helping you.

Thanks all for the assistance! I will do both I guess. It can't hurt can it? Do you all think that this will be enough for the back pay to help with the in-home care for a while? We have been trying to figure out a way of doing this to keep him in his existing house for as long as possible. I would think being diagnosed so long ago, it might be the mucho, mucho dinero to quote LarryJ. If so, it could go a long ways to paying for his care for years I would hope.

I know that sounds bad but we are hoping to keep him in the house for as long as possible since the assisted living and nursing homes are not a very attractive alternative, but 24x7 care is a bit steep $$ wise.

Thanks again!

Big Pat