VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd, Depressed And Fat

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I have read that the VA will rate a person for only one mental issue. I'm assuming this to be true, so can a person that is sc for PTSD put in a claim for obesity and/or a eating problem based upon the connection of depression with PTSD? Has anyone done this with any success?

Papa

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have read that the VA will rate a person for only one mental issue. I'm assuming this to be true, so can a person that is sc for PTSD put in a claim for obesity and/or a eating problem based upon the connection of depression with PTSD? Has anyone done this with any success?

Papa

hey papa

Obesity is considered a separatly ratable disability. However it is very hard to prove because the most common cause is lifestyle choice, but I do know someone who got Obesity as secondary to PTSD, so it can be done. The key word here is Secondary, and make sure you state the Obesity was not CAUSED by PTSD but AGGRAVATED by PTSD. VA normally asks for cause but the law states, any disability caused or aggravated by service.

Look at any medications you are taking for PTSD. Then check out the side effects of those medications, often weight gain is one of them for most anti depressants. Get your medical records and try to prove the weight gain went hand in hand with the progression of your PTSD and the medication you take for it. Every time you go to a VA doc they normally take you vitals including weight these are the best records to use.

Also see a private doc. Get that all important nexus letter, says that your PTSD and medications have significantly contributed to your weightgain.

Then submit all of that with your Claim and wait wait wait.

Good Luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Hawk- Obesity will be considered a symptom of overeating (lifestyle choice) or if a veteran can prove such a particular medical condition. Key work- symptom. This is the VA's traditional approach to obesity claims, by concluding that a "symptom" is not the same as a medical "condition". In following your approach, and given that obesity is directly related to a S/C condition (which could be the case) it would be advisable to claim conditions secondary to obesity if there are such.

Papa

What diagnostic code is obesity rated under? Also, my obesity as I'm sure others, is due to social isolation, avoidance and/or medications. With that said, can someone guide us on the best plan of action to approach this type of claim. Berta, others help out here...

Thank you all,

Bergie

PoolGuy is on the right track - obesity is a symptom of a medical condition as is an eating disorder and would probably be considered to be tied to a mental condition. So if one developed an eating disorder in service then obesity would be a symptom which could be used as proof of an actual disability. More than likely you would have a rating of 9434 or 9435 (depression/mood disorder) as a lot of people who have depresseion either starve themselves or they use food as a crutch and over eat.

Even if it is tied to medication it is still not a disability however it could lead to DMII or heart trouble. At that point you could fight for a rating of the disability of DMII or heart trouble claiming it secondary to a medication that you take for a service connected disability.

Edited by Ricky

Papa

I am really not sure how you get the Obesity sc'ed I just know someone who had it done.... I guess sometimes you get lucky.

I saw in another post that you Have Hypothyroidism, is this SC'ed because I did find this on the VA Webiste

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html#o.

4.119-2 Schedule of Ratings - Endocrine System

7903 Hypothyroidism

Cold intolerance, muscular weakness, cardiovascular involvement,

mental disturbance (dementia, slowing of thought, depression),

bradycardia (less than 60 beats per minute), and sleepiness ............................ 100

Muscular weakness, mental disturbance, and weight gain ...................................... 60

Fatigability, constipation, and mental sluggishness ................................................. 30

Fatigability, or; continuous medication required for control ................................... 10

What diagnostic code is obesity rated under? Also, my obesity as I'm sure others, is due to social isolation, avoidance and/or medications. With that said, can someone guide us on the best plan of action to approach this type of claim. Berta, others help out here...

Thank you all,

Bergie