VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd, Depressed And Fat

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I have read that the VA will rate a person for only one mental issue. I'm assuming this to be true, so can a person that is sc for PTSD put in a claim for obesity and/or a eating problem based upon the connection of depression with PTSD? Has anyone done this with any success?

Papa

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Obesity is not covered in the DSM-IV TR. (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for mental disorders).

It is not a psychiatric disease, so no it would not be in the DSM-IV. DSM-IV only deals with psychiatric disorders. It is however a secondary consequence/condition related to PTSD and only one of many such secondary diseases that can be directly related to PTSD.

JMO,

Bergie

This may get deleted, but that is alright. Once, I went to see my doctor about an ear ache. First thing that he told me was that I was fat, in so many words, well I looked at him and told him that his wife did not think so last night :D . He, of course, is no longer my doctor, but it sure shut him up. Did not like the bu## wipe anyways.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

PaPa you have been very naughty but I though it was funny.

• HadIt.com Elder

Papa

That was funny. Do you think a private doctor would insult a patient like that (unless that was your private doctor)? Only at the VA where they believe that patients are dumb and poor. This is because they assume we are all some kind of second class citizens who are charity cases. Don't they read the motto of the VA about their mission of serving those who have borne the burden of battle etc.? A friend of mine from Vietnam is obese. That is because his leg was destroyed in service and he has not been able to walk for years. If you are so disabled you can't exercise it is hard to not gain weight. Since I developed foot problems and back and shoulder problems I too am not the skinny kid I once was.