VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Claim For Compensation

Rate this question

samiam1978

Question

Hello, I am a Navy Veteran who has filed a claim for compensation for the autoimmune diseases I have been diagnosed with by the Veterans Hospital. The cause being exposure to asbestos, sandblasting dust (including silica, lead, zinc, copper and tributyltin), mold, strong fumes from appling new antifouling paint to submarines by brush and roller and grinding dust (crystalline silica) from grinding non-skid paint to prepare deck for welding. My question is that I am already on Social Security Disability and have been since 1991. Then I shattered my disc at L4 - L5 and broke a lot of the bone from the vertebrae. It was on my civilian job as a working Foreman in a small sheet metal shop which built stainless steel cooking equipment. I ended up having 6 more back surgeries and now have a pain pump and nerve stimulator implanted for pain control. Since I am already not able to work, if my claim comes back at more than 50% compensations would I still be able to have it automatically to 100% because if I was not disable and unable to work the diseases from this claim has made it true again. I have COPD, Emphysema, Sarcoidosis of thelungs and skin, Obstructive/Central sleep apnea, Narcolepsy, Hypothyroidism, Hypertension, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Major Depression and on 3% oxygen 24 hours a day. Thanks

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Since I am already not able to work, if my claim comes back at more than 50% compensations would I still be able to have it automatically to 100% because if I was not disable and unable to work the diseases from this claim has made it true again.

samiam,

As Pete stated - nothing is automatic with VA.

You can always file a claim for IU on a 21-8940.

Even if it's denied initially, it can set an effective date for you.

jmho,

carlie