VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-pap

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Some places schedule sleep studies really quick, but everywhere is different. Here are my experiences, so far...

I have been told that I snore a lot and I rarely awaken refreshed, so I talked with my VA PCP in early November 2009, who requested a referral to the Sleep Clinic. A week later, I received a 10-15 page questionnaire and appointment notification for a Sleep Education seminar, which was scheduled for a couple of weeks later. I filled out the questionnaire. I went to the seminar and watched a slideshow which showed the contraption they put on you and the hotel room-like setting they have. They measured my neck with a tape measure and also looked into my mouth to see how much space I had in there. They gave me an appointment date in February 2010 at a nearby hospital, because they did not have the actual testing facilities in house, unlike other VAMC's. From what I hear, each VAMC does things a bit differently. They also mailed me some antacid, tylenol, sleeping pills, and something for restless leg syndrome. Apparently, they want me to bring my own medication because the third party hospital charges for meds. They told me not to take anything until I am instructed to do so by the sleep clinic there. This makes me wonder, because I typically do not take any of those meds before I sleep.

If I end up having SA, I hope to have it SC secondary to my SC chronic allergic rhinitis. I can't push much air through my nose. Other things, like restless leg syndrome, can also be diagnosed through the sleep study.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to help! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I have requested for the past year to have a sleep study completed and made no success. Luckily I have personal insurance that covered the sleep study, and the VA has not done anything.

Thanks for some thoughts on how to proceed.

gbsepter,

Who are you asking at the VAMC?

My VA primary care doc knows I cannot breathe through my nose. He also knows the dental clinic makes me these thick night guards to wear, to prevent tooth grinding at night, which also decrease the amount of space in my mouth when I sleep. I just asked him about it one day and he instantly wrote up the referral.

I have seen some resident docs who had no clue at all. If your regular VA doc is not a staff physician, then you need to see if they can place you with one.

What were the results of your sleep study?

Did you get a CPAP machine?

When you had your sleep study, you should have been required to take a sleep survey and fill out a long questionnaire. Check your records from the sleep study. It is possible that the evidence you need may be in your records.

If all else fails, you might need a good IMO. See if your private physician opined (or can opine) that your sleep apnea is secondary to a SC condition.