VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had My Ptsd Eval Yesterday

Rate this question

GunnyO_Ret_USMC

Question

Well I had my PTSD eval at the VA. The letter I received from the VA said to bring my DD214 with me and expect the evaluation to last about 4 hours or so. They never even asked me for my DD214 and didn't last nowhere close to 4 hours. I saw a nurse practitioner first for about an hour and he asked me all sorts of questions about my experiences in Iraq and pretty much what life was like before and after deployment and what was going on now. At any rate, after speaking with the nurse practitioner, I then spoke with the psychiatrist which only lasted for about maybe 15 minutes at best. He asked a few questions and that was it. He said that he was gonna go through the notes of this mental health assistant that I had being seeing at my local VA clinic which diagnosed me with PTSD. The psyciatrist said that he has to go through the notes of the mental health assistance that I was seeing and talk to him. Pretty much everyone that I have been seing said that I had PTSD, including a psychiatrist that I seen at the VA for substance abuse. So what the *&^%, I don't know what to think about this. Is this normal, or am I already doomed and headed for a fight with the VA? Help!

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

x

x

x

This does not sound like a "Compensation and Pension Examination". It sounds like it was a clinical interview or "eval" as you called it --from your VA primary medical providers. Are you certain this was a C&P Exam? ~Wings

No this was not a C&P exam. I am seeing a psychiatrist assistant at my local VA inpatient clinic and he scheduled me for the eval to get see the psychiatrist. I had filed for compensation for PTSD prior to seeing a psychiatrist but no C&P exam yet.

Gunny,

The advice to get copies of your progress/treatment notes is the way to go. You go to the records section, ask for copies of all records and exams. If I were you, I would separate the notes for each condition you have. In time you will ahve follow up appts for your other service connected issues aka future exams. If you have it organized, then you won't have to sort through everything again, just an idea.

Now as far as the exam with the pyschiatrist assistant. I would still compare their recent diagnosis with your original diagnosis. As your claim progresses, you will ahve C&P exams scheduled. They will, without any doubt, use the VA comp worksheets. They most likely will be going right down the list asking you questions. Just an way to prepare yourself. Another way might be to look at the criteria for each in terms of percentage. I would then go through and write down each issues. Break it down barney style. Start off with lists:

• about family relationships,
  • personal/romantic relationships,
  • work (yes or no, and if not how long?),
  • sleep issues, suidical or homicidial-thoughts, ideas, plans;
  • irritablity issues (anger),
  • any run-ins with law? viloence/fights?
  • concentration issues?
  • avoidence? hypervigelence?
  • lack of interest in things you use to enjoy?
  • I would close with the effect each of these issues has on your day to day life.

I found it hard to remember all these things, which is what you are going to need to have on the tip of yoru tongue for C&P exam. You make a list and talk about each issue and give an example of your life and you can remember them. JUst an idea.

Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

If I was able I would get into treatment with a private psychiatrist so that when time comes for your rating battle you will have your own treating doctor available to write a report for you. I would never want to depend only on the C&P exam.

Gunny,

The advice to get copies of your progress/treatment notes is the way to go. You go to the records section, ask for copies of all records and exams. If I were you, I would separate the notes for each condition you have. In time you will ahve follow up appts for your other service connected issues aka future exams. If you have it organized, then you won't have to sort through everything again, just an idea.

Now as far as the exam with the pyschiatrist assistant. I would still compare their recent diagnosis with your original diagnosis. As your claim progresses, you will ahve C&P exams scheduled. They will, without any doubt, use the VA comp worksheets. They most likely will be going right down the list asking you questions. Just an way to prepare yourself. Another way might be to look at the criteria for each in terms of percentage. I would then go through and write down each issues. Break it down barney style. Start off with lists:

• about family relationships,
  • personal/romantic relationships,
  • work (yes or no, and if not how long?),
  • sleep issues, suidical or homicidial-thoughts, ideas, plans;
  • irritablity issues (anger),
  • any run-ins with law? viloence/fights?
  • concentration issues?
  • avoidence? hypervigelence?
  • lack of interest in things you use to enjoy?
  • I would close with the effect each of these issues has on your day to day life.

I found it hard to remember all these things, which is what you are going to need to have on the tip of yoru tongue for C&P exam. You make a list and talk about each issue and give an example of your life and you can remember them. JUst an idea.

Good luck

Great advice and thank you very much. I am definitely going to follow your suggestion. I have pretty much all of the issues that you had listed, and you are right, I need to have what I need to say right on the tip of my tongue. Thanks again.

Well I had my PTSD eval at the VA. The letter I received from the VA said to bring my DD214 with me and expect the evaluation to last about 4 hours or so. They never even asked me for my DD214 and didn't last nowhere close to 4 hours. I saw a nurse practitioner first for about an hour and he asked me all sorts of questions about my experiences in Iraq and pretty much what life was like before and after deployment and what was going on now. At any rate, after speaking with the nurse practitioner, I then spoke with the psychiatrist which only lasted for about maybe 15 minutes at best. He asked a few questions and that was it. He said that he was gonna go through the notes of this mental health assistant that I had being seeing at my local VA clinic which diagnosed me with PTSD. The psyciatrist said that he has to go through the notes of the mental health assistance that I was seeing and talk to him. Pretty much everyone that I have been seing said that I had PTSD, including a psychiatrist that I seen at the VA for substance abuse. So what the *&^%, I don't know what to think about this. Is this normal, or am I already doomed and headed for a fight with the VA? Help!
You hang in there and keep up the good work, and keep getting your coppies, everytime you go and then wait one time and go the next and see what they say ikay it should be real good hang in there and you eill make it for sure and also request to see BHOST, and a mental issue should be made on you and ask to be put on something for PTSD, It is always good to have around in case you need it,let me know next time we chat!! Loma Linda Bill

;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0

You hang in there and keep up the good work, and keep getting your coppies, everytime you go and then wait one time and go the next and see what they say ikay it should be real good hang in there and you eill make it for sure and also request to see BHOST, and a mental issue should be made on you and ask to be put on something for PTSD, It is always good to have around in case you need it,let me know next time we chat!! Loma Linda Bill

should be like Gunny's.

Bill

;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0