VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had My Ptsd Eval Yesterday

Rate this question

GunnyO_Ret_USMC

Question

Well I had my PTSD eval at the VA. The letter I received from the VA said to bring my DD214 with me and expect the evaluation to last about 4 hours or so. They never even asked me for my DD214 and didn't last nowhere close to 4 hours. I saw a nurse practitioner first for about an hour and he asked me all sorts of questions about my experiences in Iraq and pretty much what life was like before and after deployment and what was going on now. At any rate, after speaking with the nurse practitioner, I then spoke with the psychiatrist which only lasted for about maybe 15 minutes at best. He asked a few questions and that was it. He said that he was gonna go through the notes of this mental health assistant that I had being seeing at my local VA clinic which diagnosed me with PTSD. The psyciatrist said that he has to go through the notes of the mental health assistance that I was seeing and talk to him. Pretty much everyone that I have been seing said that I had PTSD, including a psychiatrist that I seen at the VA for substance abuse. So what the *&^%, I don't know what to think about this. Is this normal, or am I already doomed and headed for a fight with the VA? Help!

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

gunny, always willing to help. If you get yourself squared away with all the issues, meaning have it written down, then you will be good to go. Another bit of advice is to emphasize the tough times, ptsd has impacted your life. The VA tends to go, its not that bad. You have to think of everyday in terms of the worst ptsd has been. SO when they ask questions think in terms of how am I at my worst?

like i said hope this helps

Semper fi devil

• HadIt.com Elder

Josephine

Tell the good folks at Hadit once more about your amazing victor over the Evil Empire and how much you colllected. Your story inspired me to go back and file my CUE claim right back to the day I was discharge. I thouhgt to myself if Josehpine can do it with all those cards stacked against her then I can do it. I still think they short changed you. I think they short changed me also and I am fighting back. I think that goes for many of us discharged in 60's and 70's.