VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suggestion From My Vso

Rate this question

Sgt Schmidt

Question

I had an appointment with my VSO yesterday to file a claim for DMII and glaucoma. When we finished up the details for my claim, I asked him if he thought I should file a claim for PTSD. He sat back in his chair and said, well Jeff, how do you feel right now. I told him I feel like I always do, depressed. I explained to him that I don't enjoy being around people and that I've lost most or all interest in things I used to enjoy years ago. I've had this feeling for years... I told him I'm on cymbalta and that my doctor had incresed my dosage because of suicidal thoughts. I've been on anti depressants for over 10 years. I also told him my wife told me I'm not the man she married 13 years ago. Yea, on second marriage.

Anyhow, after talking to him he gave me a card with the suicide prevention hotline number on it, and said that I should file but maybe wait a little while since I have 3 new claims pending. Doesn't want to clog the system. :-)

40 years later and it's still stuck in my head like it was yesterday.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I had an appointment with my VSO yesterday to file a claim for DMII and glaucoma. When we finished up the details for my claim, I asked him if he thought I should file a claim for PTSD. He sat back in his chair and said, well Jeff, how do you feel right now. I told him I feel like I always do, depressed. I explained to him that I don't enjoy being around people and that I've lost most or all interest in things I used to enjoy years ago. I've had this feeling for years... I told him I'm on cymbalta and that my doctor had incresed my dosage because of suicidal thoughts. I've been on anti depressants for over 10 years. I also told him my wife told me I'm not the man she married 13 years ago. Yea, on second marriage.

Anyhow, after talking to him he gave me a card with the suicide prevention hotline number on it, and said that I should file but maybe wait a little while since I have 3 new claims pending. Doesn't want to clog the system. :-)

40 years later and it's still stuck in my head like it was yesterday.

Sarge, I have read your post, four times.

Yes, I think that you need to file a claim.

There are folks here that will probably disagree with me, and they may very well be correct. But, I'm reading your post and I'm hearing a veteran with obvious Major Depressive Disorder. If you are on depressants for 10 years, have been prescribed medication not only for the depression, but also for suicidal ideation, then you must have been diagnosed with depression. You do not indicate that you have filed a claim for this depression? Then, I think THAT is what I'd file for, bearing in mind that I am NOT trying to discourage your claim for PTSD, nor am I attempting to contravene your Service Officer's input, far from it. I am attempting to add, not subtract. As far as whether I'd file now, or later, the "or later" only costs you money.

Sgt, i see you serve in the nam as a 0311,that is infantryman rifleman you should have a combat action, ribbon if so, that is your inservice stressor and i see you been diagnose with ptsd, and it is ongoing,you shouldnt have a problem getting service connected for ptsd and if you dont have a combat action ribon recorded on your DD form 214 you need two get it updated,as for DM11,the va dont look at border line,you either have DM11 or you dont,if you have DM11 and had boots on the ground in vietnam automatic service connection 10% or 20%.

mobie16r

• HadIt.com Elder
File the claim to preserve your effective date. You can get the evidence later. It would help to have a DX of PTSD, but if you have proof of stressors then you should be able to get a PTSD DX while you wait for the VA's wheels to turn. If you VSO has too much on his plate use another organization. It is your claim and you are the one that has to prove it. Do you have combat awards or medals? If so then your stressors are conceded.

John,

If he goes to another service organization, then he will have to give the new service organization his POA, and, when you do that, you negate the POA that you had.

He seems happy (well, I guess "happy" is a relative word) with his current VSO.

What he can do, he can fill out a form 21-4138 (Sarge, you can get these forms by going to the va.gov web-site and clicking on "forms" and then fill it out (you can do this on-line) then print it out and take it to your VSO.) and simply list the fact that he is wanting to file a claim for PTSD and MDD (and, I'd file for BOTH, but, that's up to the Sarge).

Just my opinion, and that and $.25 will just get ya thrown outta Starbucks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry, I see your point. Since he is already SC he can just file for PTSD as an increase. He just has to send a letter to the VA saying he wants to claim PTSD. As soon as you get even 10% everything else is an increase. He does not even have to bring the VSO into it. He needs to be sure to get a VCAA letter on all these claims. No VCAA letter that mentions a claim and I would worry.

By all means file for PTSD/MDD. As stated by others you do appear to have the stressors and behavior consistent with mental health disorders(ie VN, infantry, attempted suicide in the 90's, administration of antidepressants for 10 years, "wife confirmation you are not the man you were 13 yrs ago,"spent 1 month in a local hospital, told"I wasn't normal(need clarification or definitive diagnosis)"...There should be some diagnoses from your month stay in the hospital esp related to you mental health regarding suicidal thoughts.

Have you gotten a copy of these? Also who is prescribing your antidepressants? That dr needs to have a diagnosis to verify the medication orders too.

If you set the date, when granted in the end, you win more.

You have the problems/illinesses so put it for it, if it slows up the process, so be it...in the end it will be worth it.

Mental health evaluation, and future MH treatment, correct medication administration,support for your issues in a therapeutic setting is worth more than sitting and waiting. Bottling up emotions can be manifested in outward displays of inappropriate behavior ie attempted suicide, you need to be able to find ways to cope with the issues of 40 yrs ago...If I were you I would put in the claim...it takes months + for the VA to proceed, so hopefully you can receive counseling/ help to work on these very personal issues.

What are you granted 10% for?

Edited by halos2

By all means file for PTSD/MDD. As stated by others you do appear to have the stressors and behavior consistent with mental health disorders(ie VN, infantry, attempted suicide in the 90's, administration of antidepressants for 10 years, "wife confirmation you are not the man you were 13 yrs ago,"spent 1 month in a local hospital, told"I wasn't normal(need clarification or definitive diagnosis)"...There should be some diagnoses from your month stay in the hospital esp related to you mental health regarding suicidal thoughts.

Have you gotten a copy of these? Also who is prescribing your antidepressants? That dr needs to have a diagnosis to verify the medication orders too.

If you set the date, when granted in the end, you win more.

You have the problems/illinesses so put it for it, if it slows up the process, so be it...in the end it will be worth it.

Mental health evaluation, and future MH treatment, correct medication administration,support for your issues in a therapeutic setting is worth more than sitting and waiting. Bottling up emotions can be manifested in outward displays of inappropriate behavior ie attempted suicide, you need to be able to find ways to cope with the issues of 40 yrs ago...If I were you I would put in the claim...it takes months + for the VA to proceed, so hopefully you can receive counseling/ help to work on these very personal issues.

What are you granted 10% for?

My 10% is for Tinnitus and 0% for bilateral hearing loss. My anti depressants are prescribed by my family doctor. I do have papers from the time I spent in the physc ward but they're lost in space somewhere. I'll have to see if I can get them from the hospital. Hopefully they still have my records.