VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suggestion From My Vso

Rate this question

Sgt Schmidt

Question

I had an appointment with my VSO yesterday to file a claim for DMII and glaucoma. When we finished up the details for my claim, I asked him if he thought I should file a claim for PTSD. He sat back in his chair and said, well Jeff, how do you feel right now. I told him I feel like I always do, depressed. I explained to him that I don't enjoy being around people and that I've lost most or all interest in things I used to enjoy years ago. I've had this feeling for years... I told him I'm on cymbalta and that my doctor had incresed my dosage because of suicidal thoughts. I've been on anti depressants for over 10 years. I also told him my wife told me I'm not the man she married 13 years ago. Yea, on second marriage.

Anyhow, after talking to him he gave me a card with the suicide prevention hotline number on it, and said that I should file but maybe wait a little while since I have 3 new claims pending. Doesn't want to clog the system. :-)

40 years later and it's still stuck in my head like it was yesterday.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

SGT

You need to get into treatment for your mental health problems at the VA. Family doctors are not fit to prescribe psychiatric drugs or do mental health therapy. I would also check out the Vet Center if there is one close to you. The VA runs on documentation. You need to have the VA treat and evaluate you for all your conditions and stay in treatment if it only means showing up and complaining. You can continue to get treatment outside the VA, but document your current disabilites and potential problems through the VA. You are a RVN vet. You may have agent orange issues in years to come.