VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can One Make Any Money After Getting Iu?

Rate this question

griffcher

Question

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
If you get investment money from real estate that is fine. If you actively manage real estate for someone else and get a paycheck that is not fine for IU. If you make 100$ more than the very minimum poverty level and the VA starts to investigate then you may have a big problem. When you have IU and fly under the radar you become invisible to the VA. That is where you want to stay.

So, as long as my gambling operations are not legal...........then I'm legal?

Not that I'd ever gamble illicity.

or anything like dat!

I saw this reg too but you have to remember unemployability means unemployable as far as definition goes.

But hey, if you feel you can work and aren't IU anymore then by all means go for it. Just know the risks.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

jerr

Just another little note regarding this.

My husband went through the Voc Rehab/ Independant Living Program, and they taught him a hobby.....Being a jeweller. He set up his own business so he could buy materials wholesale, and he sells bits here and there, yes you need to keep below the minimum income threshold and you'll be fine, and will keep your IU, but if you earn more it you WILL lose your IU and probably fight the rest of your life to get it back. Once it's gone it's gone.

My brother in law is also a vietnam vet, who got 50% SC'ed with IU to 100% from the day he left the military. A few years later being the bored young man he was, he looked for something to do, then got a job offer he couldn't turn down, worked there for 5 years before his PTSD screwed with him too much and lost the job. He's been fighting for 30 years to get his disability back, he now requires hospice care and isn't expected to last long.......He'll never get it back. So just be really careful O.K. :)

• HadIt.com Elder
........yes you need to keep below the minimum income threshold and you'll be fine, and will keep your IU, but if you earn more it you WILL lose your IU and probably fight the rest of your life to get it back. Once it's gone it's gone.

I think, that if one "needs to keep" below the minimum income threshold, that you will not be "fine". What one should do is just be honest and go back to work- stop gaming the system. This type of behavior sets the system back for those whom really need the IU benefit and struggle to get it.

On the flip side of the coin, you will surly be under the magnifying glass if income is reported by an IU beneficiary or if discovered by other means. Yes, its a catch 22, but think about how VA benefits are suppose to be awarded- compensate for veterans occupational limitations. To me, that means one should be incapable of even remotely coming close to the minimum income threshold.

He's in hospice and he isn't IU? Something wrong with that picture in my opinion.

jerr

Just another little note regarding this.

My husband went through the Voc Rehab/ Independant Living Program, and they taught him a hobby.....Being a jeweller. He set up his own business so he could buy materials wholesale, and he sells bits here and there, yes you need to keep below the minimum income threshold and you'll be fine, and will keep your IU, but if you earn more it you WILL lose your IU and probably fight the rest of your life to get it back. Once it's gone it's gone.

My brother in law is also a vietnam vet, who got 50% SC'ed with IU to 100% from the day he left the military. A few years later being the bored young man he was, he looked for something to do, then got a job offer he couldn't turn down, worked there for 5 years before his PTSD screwed with him too much and lost the job. He's been fighting for 30 years to get his disability back, he now requires hospice care and isn't expected to last long.......He'll never get it back. So just be really careful O.K. :)

I think, that if one "needs to keep" below the minimum income threshold, that you will not be "fine". What one should do is just be honest and go back to work- stop gaming the system. This type of behavior sets the system back for those whom really need the IU benefit and struggle to get it.

On the flip side of the coin, you will surly be under the magnifying glass if income is reported by an IU beneficiary or if discovered by other means. Yes, its a catch 22, but think about how VA benefits are suppose to be awarded- compensate for veterans occupational limitations. To me, that means one should be incapable of even remotely coming close to the minimum income threshold.

Hey Poolguy, I just wanted to make it clear that I assume the person asking the original question is not able to maintain substanial or gainful full time employment, even with IU it can be really hard to make ends meet, I am simply sharing my experience with IU and earning money, that's all.

I guess I always assume people here on hadit are above board and are not bludgers. Just trying to help..... :)