VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can One Make Any Money After Getting Iu?

Rate this question

griffcher

Question

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

He's in hospice and he isn't IU? Something wrong with that picture in my opinion.

jerr

Yeah tell me about it. But as it was explained to me.....He got his disability rating when he left the military as in "The next day" it included IU. Well as I said he got bored and decided to give the finger to the VA and go to work. In doing that he lost the disability and the IU, because the VA now assumed he was completely well and was no longer disabled. When in fact he was. He just refused to continue his treatment through the VA and went back to work.

Like I said earlier he then lost the job due to a flare up in his originally SC'ed PTSD. But now the VA basically states the any disability arising after the end date of his original service connection can not be considered to have been service connected. The fact that the conditions previously SC'ed were improved to a point where they were no longer disabling as evidence by the Veteran returning to gainful employment for a number of years, stops him from getting SC for any of those disabilities again."

So now he's screwed......he's trying for SSDI but he probably won't last long enough for anything to come of that. :) Anyway that how it happened.

Sounds to me like he may not have reported his employment, which would be fraud and cause a loss of TDIU. Probably forever, if that was the case.

pr

Ummmmmmmmmm No it wasn't fraud! He just wanted to work, and stopped going to his VA appointments. I really don't like that you are insinuating he committed fraud.... Sorry but I'm a little annoyed by that comment.

• HadIt.com Elder
Ummmmmmmmmm No it wasn't fraud! He just wanted to work, and stopped going to his VA appointments. I really don't like that you are insinuating he committed fraud.... Sorry but I'm a little annoyed by that comment.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, it was "fraud" if he went to work and failed to report the fact to the VA and continued to receive compensation based on the IU. Even one compensation check. Even one.

• HadIt.com Elder

My brother in law is also a vietnam vet, who got 50% SC'ed with IU to 100% from the day he left the military. A few years later being the bored young man he was, he looked for something to do, then got a job offer he couldn't turn down, worked there for 5 years before his PTSD screwed with him too much and lost the job. He's been fighting for 30 years to get his disability back, he now requires hospice care and isn't expected to last long.......He'll never get it back. So just be really careful O.K.

Maybe 60 percent with IU. No one gets 50 percent with IU.

J

• HadIt.com Elder
Hey Poolguy, I just wanted to make it clear that I assume the person asking the original question is not able to maintain substanial or gainful full time employment, even with IU it can be really hard to make ends meet, I am simply sharing my experience with IU and earning money, that's all.

I guess I always assume people here on hadit are above board and are not bludgers. Just trying to help..... :)

To me, what you wrote was something more or less as directing a veteran to "keep below the minimum income threshold" to commit fraud. This type of advice is nonproductive no matter how you try to rationalize it.