VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic If Deceased Vet Never Tested For Ao?

Rate this question

USAFdaughter

Question

My father died in April of 2007. He was a USAF Ssgt who served from 64-67. He had many medical problems that we believe were a result of Agent Orange and was disabled, but never got officially tested for Agent Orange. He did have Type 2 Diabetes, but his official "cause of death" was "Morbid Obesity". I have only recently heard of the Dependents Indemnity Compensation and am wondering if our family would/could qualify for this?

((To clarify, his disability did not happen when he was in the service. I think his original cause for disability was back problems perhaps because of factory jobs after the service.. but then later he developed many medical problems with lungs, kidneys, weight, diabetes, colon, etc etc etc etc etc...many other causes for disbility.))

If you respond, please put it in "layman's terms" because I am very new to this.

Thank you.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

His death had to have been caused by any disability on the AP presumptive list of disabilities.I will post that list again here-

and his exposure to AO in Thailand has to be proven.Or any stop over in Vietnam during the war- which was not unusual for some Thailand veterans.

His medical records would reveal what medical conditions he had that could have caused or contributed to his death.

ypu mentioned "but then later he developed many medical problems with lungs, kidneys, weight, diabetes, colon, " etc

However it would take a thorough review of the clinical records for any doctor to determine if he had any AO presumptive disability that could have contributed to his death.

Diabetes Type 2 Mellitus is an AO condition.

If this was found contributing to his death (you would need an independent medical opinion following the IMO criteria here to prove that )then that part of the claim would be satisfied and then the hard part would be next- to prove he was exposed to Agent Orange.

HR 2254 ios a Bill that many COngressmen and Senators have signed on to support and it this bill succeeds many veterans who wereexposed to AO outside of Vietnam Could possibly attain SC or their widows could get DIC if they also had a disability on the AO presumptive list.

Advocates have been working relentlessly on this bill-the Agent Orange Equity Act- and COngressman Filner said after Jan 2010 it will be in committee.

Still we dont know if the bill would cover all Thailand veterans, Guam vets etc etc- the bill has been posted here for all to read.

It grew out of the Blue Water Navy veterans attempt to get their exposure to AO in the 7th fleet etc during the war recognized as actual exposure to AO.

Meantime all anyone can do is try to prove exposure to AO for all claims outside of Vietnam or that do not put the veteran in Korea near the DMZ as those regs are stated for a limited period of AO usage near the DMZ in Korea.

Do you have his SMRs and copies of all of his post service medical records?

Has your mother filed a formal 21-534 DIC claim yet?

Advocates have been working relentlessly on this bill-the Agent Orange Equity Act- and COngressman Filner said after Jan 2010 it will be in committee.

Still we dont know if the bill would cover all Thailand veterans, Guam vets etc etc- the bill has been posted here for all to read.

It grew out of the Blue Water Navy veterans attempt to get their exposure to AO in the 7th fleet etc during the war recognized as actual exposure to AO.

Berta, according to the last video I saw from Congressman Filner, HR2254 is supposed to come out of committee this month, I believe his statement was early 2010.

The main criteria for TLC Veterans is going to the the Vietnam Service Medal or the Vietnam Campaign Medal.

SUMMARY!

Agent Orange Equity Act of 2009 - Includes as part of the Republic of Vietnam, for purposes of the presumption of service connection for diseases associated with exposure by veterans to certain herbicide agents while in Vietnam, such Republic's inland waterways, ports, and harbors, waters offshore, and airspace above. Includes as veterans eligible for such presumption those who: (1) served on Johnston Island during the period beginning on April 1, 1972, and ending on September 30, 1977; or (2) received the Vietnam Service Medal or the Vietnam Campaign Medal.

Keep in mind many of the Blue Water Navy Veterans were, more likely than not, contaminated by TCDD via the water distillation process used on Naval Vessels at that time. The IOM has finally accepted the RAN report regarding the distillation process and resultant concentration of dioxins in ship board water.