VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advise Please

Rate this question

mac mcqueen

Question

:angry: I'm currently 70% combined

50% for Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteoarthritis, Spinal Canal Stenosis

10% for Bilateral Tinnus

10% for Sinustis

10 % Chondromalacia Left Knee

10% Chondromalacia Right Knee

My question is I presently facing a third back surgery and have already had three Arthscopic Left knee surgries, and I'm presently employed as a Air Force Junior ROTC Instructor at a high school. My contract is up in June of this year. I can't seem to make it from day to day because of the pain. Should I just quit the job and file for UI and Social Security Disability, or wait to the contract runs out to file. The employer has already stated they would write a letter that I couldn't complete my contract due to inability to do the requirments such as standing sitting and walking for any period of time. I'm just looking for some sort of advise. Does it look better to lose the job or to just let the contract run out.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Its up to you and what yo can afford to do. Your timing for the VA will be fairly quick but SSDi may take a couple of years.

You need to be off of work to file for SSDI and IU.

Good luck

J

You have to be unemployed I think for 5 mo. I don't see any reasion ssdi would turn you down. I am not that bad off and mine went through with out a hitch. I believe it would better too get the letter, it would go a long way in helping you.

I became disabled due to heart problems back in 1991 and my cardio Dr said I'll never be able to work again and his office filed all the SSDI paper work for me and while I was waiting for the SSDI I was collecting union disability for 6 months. As soon as the 6 months were up I got the check for 5 months retro and a few days after that I started getting the regular monthly SSDI checks. 

You will need a DR. to say you are totally disabled and can't work for at least one year or more because with SS it is 100% or nothing. Depending on how long the DR considers your disability will last will determine how long  before SS will rerate you. In my case they were supposed to rerate me in 7 yrs but actually it took them 10 yrs before they rated me. 

I don't know how SSDI reacts to just up and quitting your job. I really think it would go much better for you if you can get your DR to say you can't work anymore.

• HadIt.com Elder
You have to be unemployed I think for 5 mo. I don't see any reasion ssdi would turn you down. I am not that bad off and mine went through with out a hitch. I believe it would better too get the letter, it would go a long way in helping you.

You dont have to be unemployed for 5 months, you just have to be off of work. You can file the day you quit. The 5 months is just a required waiting period subtracted from the effective date and is the start date of payment.

J