VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus

Rate this question

usmc0331

Question

I had a Tinnitus C & P Exam. I was a 0331 USMC machinegunner. I recieved the CAR, PUC, and NAM for service in Iraq. The letter sent to the VA Audiologist stated that excessive noise exposure was conceded due to military occupational specialty. I also had my private audiologist letter that stated "My impression is mild slightly asymmetric sensorineural hearing loss bilaterally with bilateral tinnitus. It is my opinion that his condition is at least as likely as not a result of noise exposure while in the military."

The VA audiologist stated that "It is in my opinion that the veterans tinnitus is less likely as not caused by military noise exposure.

Rationale: Hearing is withing normal limits for both ears. An unknown dated Post-Deployment Health Assessment indicated the veteran answered "yes during" to ringing in the ears while in Iraq.

Is this a joke? What should me next step be?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Doc John,

Your 2 to 1 doctors in your favor should be a decent case for a relative equipoise claim. Those idiots sometimes have to have everything spelled out for them.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I also have a question about Tinnitis. Carlie said there is no test to prove or disprove tinnitus. I know the VA concedes tinnitus for certain military occupations, but for those who did not have a combat occupation specialty, how much exposure to loud noise would be considered sufficient for a tinnitus claim? Could someone get it just from the time they were exposed to loud weapons and simulators during basic training and periodic marksmanship training? I know they gave us earplugs, but they were those lousy squeeze, roll, and insert kind - you know, the kind that never really work.

So then you don't have a diagnosis of tinnitus? Right? I got the diagnosis from the VA Audiologist, however the VA says they couldn't find the events in my SMR's. Hello just read the first page of medical treatment record during tech training school and "Bivouac."

I am a Vietnam vet, 0311(rifleman) MOS USMC. The VA conceded hearing loss as a result of Vietnam, but not enough to warrant rating. However tinnitus was granted after I had a private PHD audiologist examine and write up. She mentioned all the noise in combat specifically ie mortors, gun shots, jets incoming etc. It cost me $150.00 but was worth the money. It sounds like VA audiologists are using the woeds "less likely" rather than "more likely". See if your local vet rep can reccomend a vet friendly private audiologist. Keep plugging away.

Yeah, for me, the VA concedes hearing loss due to exposure but denies compensation for tinnitus because it was not in my final SMR notes.

I already filed the equipois paperwork and we will see what happens.

I think an 0311 Marine might run into this same problem and will just need to appeal and provide an IndependentMedicalOpinion letter too, if possible. Overwhealm the VA with evidence.

Doc