VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Subsistance Retroactive?

Rate this question

DickC

Question

I am rated 80% and just met with Voc Rehab and was told I qualify. I am already in school (started last June) and they are fine with the program I am in. I have 2 questions that I can not find answers to so any help would be appreciated.

1)Is my subsistance retroactive back to June when I started school?

2)The number of credits I am taking varies between 1/2 (6 credits),3/4 (10 credits), and fulltime(12+ credits)depending on the classes that are offered for the term. Because this varies do they adjust my payments for each term accordingly or will they just pay me at the lowedt rate regardless of credits (my voc rehab counselor has a copy of intended credits for each term).

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I would definitely think the payments would be retro to the date you formally started school.

Havent they sent any Voc Rehab allowance yet to you?

They should adjust the payments as to the amount of credits you are earning.

Maybe the school VA counselor could look into your Voc Rehab status - my husband was on Voc Rehab- his VA counselor at the college made it all go pretty smoothly.

The checks came at ist of month same time his comp check did.

However-I am a Chapter 35 student- although this is different then Chap 31 -I recently had to contact VA Educational department and they are overwhelemed as you can imagine with newly returning servicemen/women getting into these educational programs.

Still- you have waited a long time- with no $$$$ yet?

Did the VA counselor at your school get you a book fee waiver?

I would definitely think the payments would be retro to the date you formally started school.

Havent they sent any Voc Rehab allowance yet to you?

They should adjust the payments as to the amount of credits you are earning.

Maybe the school VA counselor could look into your Voc Rehab status - my husband was on Voc Rehab- his VA counselor at the college made it all go pretty smoothly.

The checks came at ist of month same time his comp check did.

However-I am a Chapter 35 student- although this is different then Chap 31 -I recently had to contact VA Educational department and they are overwhelemed as you can imagine with newly returning servicemen/women getting into these educational programs.

Still- you have waited a long time- with no $$$$ yet?

Did the VA counselor at your school get you a book fee waiver?

I just filed for voc rehab about a month ago (didn't know it was available) and my local VA rep is the one that pushed me to give it a go, the one at school is about worthless IMO. My schooling is paid under Trade Act (I lost me job after 12 years to overseas) and so all I was asking from VA is some help to buy some of the tools I need that Trade Act will not buy. VA will only buy the same tools that Trade act will buy which is of no use to me. There are tools I will need to make a living in this field that are not on the tool list provided by the school so I will use the subsitance check to buy the tools I need.