VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Pension Nsf And Social Security

tempys

• HadIt.com Elder
:rolleyes: Pete, I hope you are right....I know I have to let VA know when I get my SS Disability and I believe it will take some time for the approval to until the 1st check. If they notify me when that happens and what date it will start i will notify VA. The problem I was concerned with is that my SS Disability will be back paid from 2001 and I started recieving NSD from VA in 2005. I hope you are correct, it will be a good start for 2010, if I do not have to repay all the NSD to VA. Brian

even if you have to pay it back that means you will have received more than they paid you and at least the VA kept you from starving to death while SSD was sticking it to you but then you may get lucky and get to keep both but I doubt it the govt does not like overpayments so be prepared to pay it back

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you are correct, I will soon find our :rolleyes:

even if you have to pay it back that means you will have received more than they paid you and at least the VA kept you from starving to death while SSD was sticking it to you but then you may get lucky and get to keep both but I doubt it the govt does not like overpayments so be prepared to pay it back

That would be quite a lot of retro from SSA- more than I have ever seen before from them=

question-

Was the SSA award for any pending SC claim you have now?

Is it for the same disability the NSC is for?

Are you an incountry Vietnam vet who might potentially have an Agent Orange condition that the SSA is for?

If there is some way the condition you get SSA or the NSC for can be directly service connected-

then that would impact on anything the VA could recover.

Maybe-if an AO condition (that they awarded NSC for but should now be SC (Nehmer)

or if there is any type of pending claim for direct SC -that is same as the SSA award disability- as with proof of direct SC -then TDIU would kick in and that could impact on anything you have to pay back.

What disability is the SSA award for?

What is the NSC award for?

I assume at time of the NSC pension they denied service connection and direct SC comp.

That denial might be critical to all of this if you have a AO presumptive disability.

Does what I am talking about here make sense to anyone?

Thanx for your reply, I understand what questions you have asked to help me. However, some are a bit to personal. Thes NSC pension is being repaid retroactive back to 2001. I believe the last reply answered my question fully. I would still come out alright because I did not recieve VA NSC compensation untill 2005. Although Social SecurityTotal Disability could have started when applied for the other responses seem to indicate it does not seem the government would allow me to have both inasmuch as my VA Disability is not service connected.

It is possible that Agent Orange could have played a roll in my circumstances, I just have not pursued that avenue and do not wish to if all goes as it did. :D

If SSA is paying you retro monies back to a period your Va pension benefits covered, I believe you will be requested to pay back the pension monies, as your not permitted to be in receipt of both Va Pension & SSA disability. It's one or the other . That is why it is so important to let the VA know quickly that your award has been granted, and to stop your pension , immediately. Sometimes, it takes the VA months to acknowledge your notification to them, creating a further indebtedness. Make certain you keep records of your notice to them. I have a VA rep send it electronically.