VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

OEF n' Home Again

Question

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just wondering if during the interview with the shrink if they find you to be diagnosed with PTSD and with homicidal ideas (just thoughts but no plans for action) could they put you into a mental hospital against your will?

Thanks,

OEF

If they think the suicidal/homicidal ideations are lagitamite than they have a legal obligation to act or report it. I was told this after I made similar statements.

Bergie

Just wondering if during the interview with the shrink if they find you to be diagnosed with PTSD and with homicidal ideas (just thoughts but no plans for action) could they put you into a mental hospital against your will?

Thanks,

OEF

It's possible but I highly doubt it.

Now if you were to tell the doc something like,

"I just hate that MFer, when I leave here I'm going to

drive to his house, take the weapon from under my front seat,

go up ring his door bell and blow his Fing head off!"

Chances are - if the doc actually bothers to do their job,

you would get Baker Acted for upto 72 hours.

jmho,

carlie

It's possible but I highly doubt it.

Now if you were to tell the doc something like,

"I just hate that MFer, when I leave here I'm going to

drive to his house, take the weapon from under my front seat,

go up ring his door bell and blow his Fing head off!"

Chances are - if the doc actually bothers to do their job,

you would get Baker Acted for upto 72 hours.

jmho,

carlie

I just said I know my rights B) and off I went during Mrvets CP exam :angry::angry: :D

Well my husband has spent about 3 years in Waco Texas psych ward over the years, but not once was he committed. He went voluntarily because he knew he need some serious help.

I asked him this question (he's not big on computers) and he said if your GAF score is below 35 then that will get you put in the hospital without your consent (committed). The trick is that if your score is getting low, then you need to make sure a family member or good friend goes with you (this is because the family member can help support you and the psych generally does not just commit you if your family doesn't think you should be hospitalized)

....but you really need to be honest about your state of mind, if you need the help then go get it. If you volunteer for treatment and have someone who will check on you every day, you can kind of dictate the terms of your treatment. If they just send you away with no one else there for you, they can do what they like and the committal goes on record for the rest of your life.

A good psych will probe and question your seriousness before making that determination.

Let's say you tell your psych that sometimes you get so mad you feel like killing your boss but you don't think you would ever act on it. This wouldn't be considered a current threat.

But on the other hand you tell your psych that when you go into work tomorrow you think you might do your boss in. This would be considered a threat and the right thing for the psych to do is contact authorities and have you place in protective care. Remember, being committed into psych is also for your own protection since homocidal and suicidal thoughts normally go hand in hand.

Jerr

Thanks,

OEF