VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Question

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

I am trying to get a rating for PTSD from experiences in the Gulf War (Desert Storm)..I recently had my mental health consult at my local VA clinic..I saw the Social Worker who at the conclusion of outr meeting said that I DO have the signs and symptoms of PTSD..My primary care physician had previously noted this in her notes........I spent several years living in Europe, and while there I self medicated with marijuana...Killed the pain, let me sleep, and worked better than antidepressants, etc..Since returning to the States not very much......The social worker (who just so happens to be the drug and alcohol counselor) said she wanted me to attend Dependency group meetings at the clinic, that I was marijuana dependent....I doubt it since it has been over 3 months since use...She has scheduled me an appointment with a psychiatrist (for PTSD and possible Bipolar)I just don't have it yet...............................My problem is that these meetings are during the work day and I will have to use vacation time to attend them, plus I really don't think I am dependent..I can do without it but would actually prefer it to the pills they give me for depression,sleep and pain..They make me feel funny and don't work as well...But I do not live in a medical use state so am trying to go the right way......Will it affect my claim if I do not attend???? Should I just appease her and attend occasionally...Just asking for someone with more experienced or someone that has been through similair experiences....I know this is going to be a long battle and I don't want to jeapordize my claims..................Thanks, Gridsmasher11

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I take this that you have already filed for PTSD, correct? You definetely need to stay away from non-prescripted drugs (MJ) since the VA can definetely use that against your claim. Also, it looks like you haven't been formally diagnosed with PTSD, or have you? You said there were some notes but you didn't confirm you have a PTSD diagnosis.

In order to get SC you need to be dx'd first and then get a nexus connecting your current condition to your active duty.

Another Q: Were you treated for any mental condition in service and since you're claiming PTSD do you have records of events from your experiences in the gulf war?

You should attend as much as these groups as you can. Your shrink will likely be a lot more content with writing up letters in support for you claim if you do what she asks. Even though you're not actively using right now doesn't mean the groups won't help anyway.

Jerr

I am trying to get a rating for PTSD from experiences in the Gulf War (Desert Storm)..I recently had my mental health consult at my local VA clinic..I saw the Social Worker who at the conclusion of outr meeting said that I DO have the signs and symptoms of PTSD..My primary care physician had previously noted this in her notes........I spent several years living in Europe, and while there I self medicated with marijuana...Killed the pain, let me sleep, and worked better than antidepressants, etc..Since returning to the States not very much......The social worker (who just so happens to be the drug and alcohol counselor) said she wanted me to attend Dependency group meetings at the clinic, that I was marijuana dependent....I doubt it since it has been over 3 months since use...She has scheduled me an appointment with a psychiatrist (for PTSD and possible Bipolar)I just don't have it yet...............................My problem is that these meetings are during the work day and I will have to use vacation time to attend them, plus I really don't think I am dependent..I can do without it but would actually prefer it to the pills they give me for depression,sleep and pain..They make me feel funny and don't work as well...But I do not live in a medical use state so am trying to go the right way......Will it affect my claim if I do not attend???? Should I just appease her and attend occasionally...Just asking for someone with more experienced or someone that has been through similair experiences....I know this is going to be a long battle and I don't want to jeapordize my claims..................Thanks, Gridsmasher11

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have decent medical insurance I would try and get DX'ed by a private shrink for PTSD and then file a claim. Stay in treatment at the VA, but if the group therapy is going to be a burden tell them you can't afford to take off work once a week to do it. As has been said you need a DX of PTSD and verification of an in-service stressor. Did you get combat awards? The VA doctors can say you have PTSD but you have to show that it is linked to your service.

I started out with a social worker at the VA, we kept in contact for several sessions then she push me upstairs to group. I did several group sessions, my psychiatric was not giving me the time of day, only pills, and suggested another group session, I miss the initial appointment and the clerks made it hard to get in, I kept calling to I wore them down, finally they past me on to the Dr. once He saw me He remember that I used to participate in sessions and ever since we have been doing one on one, this process for me has been over two and a half year. I also did the civilian Dr. But I personally found VA was better for me. Please do not miss your schedule appointments with out some tip of understanding with your provider. I am also from Desert Storm, 18 years is a long time to carry any symptoms, Specially PTSD.