VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is And How Does One Attain A Common Access Card

• HadIt.com Elder

It looks like the "CAC" or "smartcard" will eventually replace the older tan cards. In 2001, the "CAC" cards were just starting to be used at some locations, and did not at that time replace the older ID cards. They were issued in addition.

I suspect that once the system was up and running, and the stocks of the older cards reduced, the military elected to "save money" and stop issuing the old style cards, again on a base by base schedule. The original "tan card" was the same ID form that was used for military dependents. I suspect that Base gates have or will have some sort of scanner or reader to be used with the CAC cards. As far as I know most "classified" facilities have them now.

Ok....

COMMON ACCESS CARD

Who has all the answers:

What is necessary to qualify

What documents are needed

What is the procedure to get the CAC

Where are the locations to have a CAC issued to the Veteran

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
It looks like the "CAC" or "smartcard" will eventually replace the older tan cards. In 2001, the "CAC" cards were just starting to be used at some locations, and did not at that time replace the older ID cards. They were issued in addition.

I suspect that once the system was up and running, and the stocks of the older cards reduced, the military elected to "save money" and stop issuing the old style cards, again on a base by base schedule. The original "tan card" was the same ID form that was used for military dependents. I suspect that Base gates have or will have some sort of scanner or reader to be used with the CAC cards. As far as I know most "classified" facilities have them now.

I've got a question about the "new smartcards":

Say, like, you and your wife and two kids each have a tan MWR card.

When you approach the entrance, to, let's say, NAS Ft. Worth and the young lady with the M4 approachs your car and asks to see your ID (you WILL supply your ID) and that of all the rest of the tribe, and you show her all four ID's and she lowers the barricade and allows you on base. Then how will the "swipe your new smartcard" and then you gain access to the base, how does that work? I mean, how does the smartcard reader KNOW that there are four peeps in your car and that the other three peeps have a smartcard, and that it's okay to lower the barricade and allow access for your automobile? I'm sayin' that there would be three folks in your car that the smartcard reader ain't read yet.

Just a question, not posed for disagreement, for I haven't stated anything, just asked a question about the possible lack of feasibility.

When I retired, they took my CAC because I no longer needed it. As an 23 year retiree I got issued the Blue Card (DD Form 2) which allowed me the use to come on base anytime I want and to use the base facilities. The CAC are only issued to Active duty, contractor personnel or GS personnel that need access to unclassified computer network for that installation. They have a chip in the card itself that has certain type of information held within it. They can log on to the base computer network and perform thier duties as required by their contract. So my understanding is that you will not get a CAC unless you work for the military installation, but you could get other type of identification that allows you access and privileges to the base.

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, LarryJ, I should know better than to disagree w/you. However, since you state: "The requirements to receive a tan card are that you be 100% with "no future exams scheduled," could you show your source?? I'm 99% sure that is wrong, as cards are issued to 100%ers and TDIUers who are not P&T. Those cards expire shortly after the "scheduled future exam date." just sayin'

pr

post-1306-1263684005_thumb.jpg

If your card does not have an expiration date, and if you were scheduled for a future exam on, say, 5/15/13, then why would you have to get a new card issued, after all, it has no expiration date, correct?

The requirements to receive a tan card are that you be 100% with "no future exams scheduled". This is to keep people that may be examined "in the future", and may be, at that time, deemed, say, 70%, a reduction from the required 100%, from being in possession of a MWR card that they were no longer qualified, by reason of reduction, to be in possession of.

• HadIt.com Elder

LarryJ,

Here's the content of the Fast Letter explaining card letters.

December 14, 2006

In Reply Refer To: 216B

Fast Letter 06-27

Directors (00/21)

All Regional Offices and Centers

SUBJ: Commissary and Exchange Privilege Letters

The purpose of this letter is to advise regional offices that there has been no change in Department of Defense (DoD) or VA policy regarding commissary and exchange privileges for veterans rated 100% for individual unemployability (IU).

On May 10, 2000, Fast Letter 00-37 transmitted a ruling by DoD’s General Counsel that clarified the issue of commissary privileges for veterans rated 100% disabled due to IU. The ruling was the result of an apparent conflict between M27-1, Part I, Para. 3.08b(2), and a Department of Defense July 11, 1998, order that prohibited commissary and exchange privileges to those veterans.

DoD instructed its facilities that “honorably discharged veterans determined by the VA to have a service-connected disability of no less than 60%, but rated 100% disabled based on individual unemployability are entitled to MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges.” This instruction is still in effect. M21-1, Part VII, Para 5.08b is still in effect except for the references to VLET, which PCGL letters have replaced.

In issuing letters for commissary and exchange privilege purposes, regional offices must use one of the three PCGL AB3 letters. They are: Future Exam Scheduled, No Future Exam Scheduled, and To Surviving Spouse. Do not use any other letters, and do not include any reference to an IU rating in the PCGL letters.

/s/

Bradley G. Mayes, Director

Compensation and Pension Service

just sayin'

pr