VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Familiar With Dmii

Rate this question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

My spouse has been away for a week now, I constantly keep forgetting to take my Diabetis meds. Today I awoke and when I stuck my finger my B/S was 565, I know this is very high. I cannot remember if I took my meds last night, I am groggy, confused and my equalibrium is off, I have already fallen twice today.

My question is if I missed my meds can I take them now instead of 8:00PM last night, I am unsure what will happen if I take to much insulin, Metformin, acarbose and Glipizide in one day. I tried calling my doctor but keep getting cut off by the answering service, I called the VAMC ER and likewise, I get put on hold and then the line goes dead. I don't know what to do next. I will not call an ambulance as I am not looking for yet another hospital stay.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

My spouse has been away for a week now, I constantly keep forgetting to take my Diabetis meds. Today I awoke and when I stuck my finger my B/S was 565, I know this is very high. I cannot remember if I took my meds last night, I am groggy, confused and my equalibrium is off, I have already fallen twice today.

My question is if I missed my meds can I take them now instead of 8:00PM last night, I am unsure what will happen if I take to much insulin, Metformin, acarbose and Glipizide in one day. I tried calling my doctor but keep getting cut off by the answering service, I called the VAMC ER and likewise, I get put on hold and then the line goes dead. I don't know what to do next. I will not call an ambulance as I am not looking for yet another hospital stay.

What meds are you talking about, if oral (pills) than yes it should be ok. However, are you sure with your memory issues that you did forget to take it or are you forgetting that you did take it last night. Also, if you are having the issues you state you should call 911 and go to the hospital. You are home alone I take it and definately at risk for severe injury or worse death for 2 reasons.

1. could fall hit your head and suffer a Hemorrhagic stroke.

2. Your blood sugar is having profound effects on your mental status and could cause you to lose consciousness and worse die.

The fact that you want to avoid a hospital stay is irrelevent and if you think you will be admitted than by your own admission you need help. CALL 911 NOW!!!

Bergie

Need more info on what you are taking.

If you are taking insulin (fast acting) you should take a correction dose, ASAP. Test your sugar levels frequently (hourly at a minimum). If this doesn't make sense, then go to the hospital!

Just my 2 cents. All diabetics are diffrent.....Eric

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like you might need to consider insulin. At 565 anything will help. You can have really bad complications if you stay high like that.

High blood sugars are not always what many think are obvious things. Stress, infection some food will raise it very quickly. You have to learn the symptoms for me when I see spots I need to check and take action.