VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mri On Spine

Rate this question

xdalex

Question

I need help with understanding my MRI I had done on my spine, back in june of 2009 please.

Please note that I have filed a claim with the VA 6 months ago and do have numerous problems since my return from Afghanistan in 2007. I am currantly going to the spine center in Athens, Ga every six weeks for shots in my spine with no improvement at all. I can walk no more than two to three hundred yards without great pain and fear that it is only getting worse as time goes on.

MRI reads as follows.

Findings: There is mild anterior wedging deformity with chronic appearance of L1 including superior end plate Schmorl's node.

There is 1-2mm of retropulsion of the posterior superior vertebral body margin. Small associated disc bulge at T12-L1 is without central canal stenosis. AP alignment is otherwise maintained. The conus terminates at T11-T12 level and is normal in it's appearance.

L5-S1: There is disc desiccation with posterior protrusion located centrally that has mild mass effect upon the thecal sac but no central canal stenosis. No evidence of nerve root compromise. There are mild degenerative changes at the facet joints.

L4-5: There is minimal disc bulge without focal herniation or central canal stenosis. Remainder of lumbar levels are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:

1. POSTERIOR PROTRUSION L5-S1 WITH MINIMAL MASS EFFECT UPON THE THECAL SAC BUT NO CENTRAL CANAL STENOSIS OR APPARENT NERVE ROOT COMPROMISE.

2. CHRONIC ANTERIOR WEDGING DEFORMITY OF L1.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I hope others will help with understanding this MRI-

But-have you fully established an inservice nexus (link) to this?

Do you have copies of your SMRs and is there documentation in them that shows that this condition began in service?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Definitely follow Berta's advice! Definitely dig in your service treatment records and try to locate any injuries which could relate to your back or any load bearing section of your back which is above the vertebrae in question.

Also, did your military career involve jumping out of airplanes? If so, did you ever get hurt while doing it?

Your wedging may have been caused by a compression fracture at one point.

Anterior = front or towards the front

Typically, vertebrae are square-ish and rectangular-ish in shape, very similar to those around it.

Here is a link to pic of a vertebrae with wedging:

http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/images/figure-1.jpg

Edited by Vync

Yes Ma'am I have submitted copies of all records to the VA when I filed my claim, I also have had to have reconstructive ankle surgery since breaking my ankle and tearing tendons in my foot.

These were documented while I was in Afghanistan, also have had some respitory problems that are also documented while

I hope others will help with understanding this MRI-

But-have you fully established an inservice nexus (link) to this?

Do you have copies of your SMRs and is there documentation in them that shows that this condition began in service?

Yes Ma'am I have submitted copies of all records to the VA when I filed my claim, I also have had to have reconstructive ankle surgery since breaking my ankle and tearing tendons in my foot.

These were documented while I was in Afghanistan, also have had some respitory problems that are also documented while I was there.

I keep getting letters from the VA every month that tells me that they are still working on my claim. So I hope that this wait that I am going through is in my favor. I am supposed to be going in for a fit for duty sometime in the next couple of months and I fear that the National Guard will MED Board me out, Knowing of my not being able to do my normal duties as a Soldier. as of now I am on orders as a Training NCO until my Unit gets back from Afghanistan. in March.

Not sure if the NG will give me any type of disibility pay or not, I hate to think that they would just cut me loose and that's that. Thank you Ma'am for all of you're help. CPL Dale Fisher

Chief Petty Officer

I belive that my fracture was caused by falling off the back of a humvee and landing on my hip it layed me up for several days, being a 11B I just roughed it out because I did not want to be sent home, Yes I now know what a stupid thing that was to do, NOW.

Same thing had happened with my ankle while I was over there and have had reconstructive surgry on that to repair torn tendons and have some bone removed.

With my Back I belive that it was all the hours of walking with all of the gear and the weight of it that has done me in, I do not want to be on the medication anymore it just makes me numb and is ruining my sex life, no kidding. Thank you for all the imput it dose help me to understand more. Thank you CPL Dale Fisher

Definitely follow Berta's advice! Definitely dig in your service treatment records and try to locate any injuries which could relate to your back or any load bearing section of your back which is above the vertebrae in question.

Also, did your military career involve jumping out of airplanes? If so, did you ever get hurt while doing it?

Your wedging may have been caused by a compression fracture at one point.

Anterior = front or towards the front

Typically, vertebrae are square-ish and rectangular-ish in shape, very similar to those around it.

Here is a link to pic of a vertebrae with wedging:

http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/images/figure-1.jpg

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Dale,

I had a feeling that a physical injury was the cause. When you had your fall, did it get documented, like visiting the makeshift hospital/clinic/ or medic? If not, do you have any good buddies who can write a buddy letter as a direct eyewitness? It never hurts to have more than one buddy letter!

How long ago did you have your fall?

You might also consider filing a secondary claim for ED, from the side effects of the medication used to treat {insert condition here}. You will need to be awarded SC for the condition first.

Also, have you visited the MH clinic regarding any issues related to your injuries? You can file for MH secondary also. The most common MH conditions are chronic pain, depression, etc... The first two are more likely, as you are probably hurting all the time and, of course, the negative side effects of the medication turn what are supposed to be good times into miserable times. If you are close to getting out, regarding the fit for duty exam, you might want to seek a referral. Medical evidence from while you are in the service carries a lot of weight.

I am also pursuing a lower back claim. In my case, the injuries were from about 15-20 years ago. I have a lot of medical evidence from then and now, but the VA denies me SC because I have not submitted the required medical nexus. If you can get a doc to write you a nexus letter, it would carry more weight as expert opinion, than a buddy letter alone.