VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Doctor For Imo

Rate this question

stitcher03

Question

I have had a case against the VA for 6 Years. I have multiple sclerosis and many other problems associated with it. I am looking for a Doctor that will do and imo on me. I am hoping someone will know of a good one. I live in the Las Vegas, Nevada area. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I was officially diagnosed in 2000. I had symptoms from 1977, but i figured they were due to other things.

I found another Doctor in Georgia that is willing to do an IMO for $1000. That is a lot better than $6000.

I will try to scan the document this weekend, if i get a chance.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I called my local DAV yesterday and left a message asking if they could recommend any Vet-friendly doctors to do my IMO's, but not necessarily rip me off in the process. I'm still waiting to hear back from the DAV.

sticher along with the IMO criteria here- it often pays to give the IMO doctor any denials in SOCs and copies of any C & P reports.

Can you tell us exactly how the SMRs worded the eye problems?

I helped a local vet get 12 years of retro- he had been denied at every level tp include the CAVC.

I was asked to help by my own vet rep at the time.

As I waited for them both to show up here I had a few key words hoping I could find the vet's BVA case-

I found something and printed it off and asked the vet when he got here if this was his BVA decision and he said Yes- I realized I forgot to bring it as we drove up the hill-

I asked him what a medical word in the first paragraph of the decision meant.The BVA said this word appeared in his SMRs.

He didnt know and neither did the vet rep-I couldnt wait till they left and found after a few hours of searching exactly what this eye condition was, and what it was from.

BINGO! It is was the inservice nexus to his long standing VA claim.

He subsequently got an IMO from his doc- that supported this nexus as well as other inservice factors(I found many other things in his SMRs that helped too which no one at that point had discovered)

It was a lot of work researching his SMRs as they were very hard to read.

He also had 2 lawyers on his case but they never dug into the SMRs at all and never looked up the medical term in the BVA decision.

but it goes to show that SMRS as well as medical evidence have to be carefully and thoroughly read and understood.I read this vets SMRs dozens of times and even had a dream about them. The internet has made it easy to find out what medical words and symbols are for.

It is difficult and time consuming to do some of this research and this also is why an IMO doctor's fee can be well spent-they recognize things in medical records that we as lay people could easily overlook or misinterpret.

If we miss something in SMRs for sure the VA isnt going to find it.

Berta,

Not sure what smr means, but i think it means service medical report. Anyway the doctor in the optometry clinic wrote in 1979 (L.E 2 years eyes hurt (burning sensation). He said other things, but i can't make them out. Will attach the scanned record maybe you can. After i was discharged from the service, i went to a doctor who refereed me to and ophthalmologist who diagnosed me with neuritis and prescribed prednisone. I can't get the medical records from the doctor, because he is no longer there and the records would have been destroyed anyway. I got my mother in-law (who i was living with at the time) to write a lay statement stating the above fact. Optic neuritis is a well known effect of multiple sclerosis.

I also found my denials in the bva records, so i will attach it too.

Stitcher

0837187.txt

Berta,

Not sure what smr means, but i think it means service medical report. Anyway the doctor in the optometry clinic wrote in 1979 (L.E 2 years eyes hurt (burning sensation). He said other things, but i can't make them out. Will attach the scanned record maybe you can. After i was discharged from the service, i went to a doctor who refereed me to and ophthalmologist who diagnosed me with neuritis and prescribed prednisone. I can't get the medical records from the doctor, because he is no longer there and the records would have been destroyed anyway. I got my mother in-law (who i was living with at the time) to write a lay statement stating the above fact. Optic neuritis is a well known effect of multiple sclerosis.

I also found my denials in the bva records, so i will attach it too.

Stitcher

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use