VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Vs Tdiu

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

Hello Vets,

If I understand correctly IU means your disabilities are rated at 100%, and TDIU means that your disabilities are rated between 60-90% and due to these disabilities you are unable to find employment.

So my question: If you are granted TDIU is there still a reason or benefit to continue to try and get you disability rating increased to the 100% level? I'm rated 60% effective Dec 09 retro back to 2004, but have not worked since June 2000. Was awarded SSI in 2002 retro back to 2000. I have applied for TDIU, and have some secondary issues to my rated disability that I could persue. I just wondered if there was a resaon to go thru the headache. My cuurent condition will not improve.

Thanks for your responses,

Blackbird out

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Both TDIU and IU are same. In my opinion, being TDIU P&T is just as good, if not better, than being rated 100%. With TDIU P&T you don't really have to worry about losing it unless you start working again. With a condition rated 100% they will re-evaluate the level of disability and use the criteria in the rating schedule.

If you already have a claim in for TDIU you don't have to ask for an increase. Asking for TDIU is the "same" as putting in a claim for increased rating.

Jerr

Hello Vets,

If I understand correctly IU means your disabilities are rated at 100%, and TDIU means that your disabilities are rated between 60-90% and due to these disabilities you are unable to find employment.

So my question: If you are granted TDIU is there still a reason or benefit to continue to try and get you disability rating increased to the 100% level? I'm rated 60% effective Dec 09 retro back to 2004, but have not worked since June 2000. Was awarded SSI in 2002 retro back to 2000. I have applied for TDIU, and have some secondary issues to my rated disability that I could persue. I just wondered if there was a resaon to go thru the headache. My cuurent condition will not improve.

Thanks for your responses,

Blackbird out

Edited by jerrbilly

Both TDIU and IU are same. In my opinion, being TDIU P&T is just as good, if not better, than being rated 100%. With TDIU P&T you don't really have to worry about losing it unless you start working again. With a condition rated 100% they will re-evaluate the level of disability and use the criteria in the rating schedule.

If you already have a claim in for TDIU you don't have to ask for an increase. Asking for TDIU is the "same" as putting in a claim for increased rating.

Jerr

Thanks for the replys. Are there any differences in benefits for TDIU 100% and 100% schedular rating?

Blackbird

Maybe someone can chime in on this but i'm 95% sure both have the same benies.

Jerr

Thanks for the replys. Are there any differences in benefits for TDIU 100% and 100% schedular rating?

Blackbird

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing different between any total rating is being permanant and total. Then you get more benefits for being P&T. I think if you are 100% schedular it is easier to claim SMC for housebound. We debated this point here a while ago.

Blackbird

Did not know that... great awnser