VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Don't Injuries From Reserve And National Guard Service Count?

Rate this question

chulai78

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I suffered hearing loss and tinnitus from being around Naval aircraft as a week-end warrior and during my 2 week active duty period. Can I get a disability rating for these injuries from my Reserve duties?

Sorry about that! I am new at posting on here! Its my first time actually! I was army national guard weekend warrior similar to you. No active duty. I got injured during drill and am currently rated %70 percent total from my training accident in the guard. If you have an injury going to or from drill and are treated then this can be filed as a service connected injury! Like any military injury it has to be documented during service. For example during that 2 week period you should complain and seek medical attention and it gets diagnosed and treated. This results in evidence and you can file a claim for the injury with VA! One difference between active duty and reserve I found out is. You can file a Va compensation claim and if you win it you can recieve the monetary award for that injury while serving in the reserves. You cannot do this on active duty or even active reserves. You have to leave active duty to file a claim. VA also does one other nasty thing when you drill they deduct your drill pay from VA compensation. Sucks huh!! If you get activated for active duty you must notify VA asap to prevent overpayment. They will suspend you benefits till you come off active duty for deployments! This is what I have learned on the reserves side over the years. Some of the VA people dont quite know this side of the military as much as active duty. I hope this helps!!

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can document it and it did occur while you were on acdutra.

The VA is going to say 2 weeks is too short of a time frame to experience hearing loss without some major ear trauma like an explosion, A sudden extremely loud noise that can burst your ear drums.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

You may be able to get it but like said it will be hard and usually 10% Max but if you got it from your Service they should pay.

were was your hearing protection. The navy does not let anyone even get close to aircraft that are running there engines without hearing protection. You will not get tinnitus from this amount and type of noise.

My exposure to the jet and recip engine noise was some years back (1975). The little plastic earplugs then issued by the Navy were worthless. As a weekend warrior I was required to get my 3 hours of flight time each month (for 5 years) to earn flight pay. My 2 week ACDUTRA also required me to be in a noise intense environment.

How long does it take to get tinnitus anyway?