VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Won My Appeal

Rate this question

jtg1966

Question

so as y'all know i was notified that i won my appeal....but haven't rec'd the money yet...

the question that i have is this...

is it wrong that i'm watching an ebay auction for a 2008 hummer which also has gold plated handles and lug nuts and furry dice hangin' from the rearview mirror made from actual mink.

not to mention that I bid on a hooter's tour which includes airfare , transpotation to 38 hooters world wide and all you can eat or drink for 19,000?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I think you could get a faster results (if the EED is wrong) by asking them to either reconsider or asking them to CUE themselves-

that is if they denied a claim in the past for same disability ,which was at some point unappealed then re-opened-and the claim has now been awarded due to newly discovered service records.

There is discussion on this scenario re: 38 CFR 3.156 up top in Claims Research Forum today.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

jtg,

You might want to look into VA pension. I'm not totally sure how it works, but I understand that some Vets might qualify for it. I think it is supposed to help bring vets to at least the poverty line. I am not sure if you can collect VA disability and pension at the same time, but others here might be able to tell you.

CD's and annuities are really not very good methods of investment. The interest rates are lame (less than 5%) and you get taxed on any interest you earn. You might want to look into getting a Roth IRA. These are great because the money you earn is not taxed, because the government assumes people are already taxed on their income before they contribute. Also, you need to find a fund that consistently over years has made 10%+ annually. Granted, the last two years have screwed everyone over, but look at the long term performance. However, there is a limit to the amount you can contribute to the Roth IRA, which is about $5000 annually. After a Roth, find some good mutual funds. They work the same way as a Roth, but the annual contributions can be a lot higher and they do tax you.

If you don't do anything else, drop about six to 12 months of cash into a money market account and treat it as your emergency fund. If you are always prepared for the worst, then Murphy's Law is less likely to apply.

Also, keep about $150 set aside and go to the Dave Ramsey financial peace university when it comes to a big city near you. It is awesome! Worth the price of tickets and then some, unless you are like me and won tickets from a radio show.

When I got my lump sum back in 2000, I bought a new car (about two years old), paid off all of my bills, bought a larger computer monitor, bought some new clothes and shoes, set aside money for my emergency fund, and took a small vacation to Florida for a week. I also sold my old klunker, because I did not want to drive around with a car that smokes. :D

Berta,

Thank you very much for the compliment. However, I think I have received more good advice from you than I have been able to provide.

vync...

no the pension is out of the question....for two reasons....the NSC pension is need based and my 1600/ month income would disqualify me from receiving the pension...also i was having problems while in service b/c of the bipolar...and they chaptered me out for unsatisfactory performance...so i did not complete 24 continuous months or my complete enlistment, which also would preclude me from receiving the NSC pension...

the roth IRA is not really an option for me at this point...after i get my toys...i will have to budget out the back pay each month to live on...because 1600/month is not enough to survive on....as it goes now....quite often i'm broke three weeks into the month...

I do expect to get 70-100% on reconsideration....my gaf scores are all in the 40's for at least the last two years and i definately satisfy the 70% criteria...i've been hospitalized dozens of times since seperation from service...

---berta...

"that is if they denied a claim in the past for same disability ,which was at some point unappealed then re-opened-and the claim has now been awarded due to newly discovered service records."

those are my circumstances exactly...

i fully expect vigil v. peake (38 cfr 3.156) to apply in my case although it may be awhile before they see the errors of their ways...

for now...i've won a 15 year battle to get SC'd for an acquired psych disorder...

Why would you want to spend your money on a gas hog like a Hummer? I shouldn't judge though since everyone's different.

Don't spend your money away. You will think back and wish you didn't. This is exactly why the VA makes the determination on incompetency for handling one's own funds.

Jerr

so as y'all know i was notified that i won my appeal....but haven't rec'd the money yet...

is it wrong that i'm watching an ebay auction for a 2008 hummer which also has gold plated handles and lug nuts and furry dice hangin' from the rearview mirror made from actual mink.

not to mention that I bid on a hooter's tour which includes airfare , transpotation to 38 hooters world wide and all you can eat or drink for 19,000?

Edited by jerrbilly

Why would anyone want to send the arabs $4.00 per gallon at 8 mpg..??