VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Opinons

Rate this question

coleusmc84

Question

i'm a marine vet. 04 to 08 (machinegunner). Did 3 tours.2 iraq, 1 afghanistan. Got was in a n humvee roller and was ejected over 25 foot embankment. got a grade 3 concussion and lower spine injury. on my first employment in fallujah that happened. My 2nd deployment i my humvee was blown up. got another grade three conccuson. i got slammed in the side and it about torn my left pec off. my jaw got messed up too. Third deployment was a no injurys :D ! I saw a lot of stuff as did most so now i have a lot of ptsd symptons. a gaf of 40. My decisions for service connection on first clame was 50% ptsd, 20% T.b.i., 20 % lowerback. 20% hearing, 10% tinnitus, 20% left pec or shoulder and 10% tmd, some jaw clicking thing and like 3 other 0% stuff ..so with therr math tota is 80%. I put in increase for back, tbi and ptsd all have gotten worse. Versy suicidal and flashbacks alot. memor y problems too. The thing is i work though. I think i could work if i were a vegstable. always push through you know. But its getting tougher. well my question is if they dont grant me an increase enough to get 100% what would you do if you were in my shoes. my brain doesn't work well like it used to so i need advice. I would want like to have 100% so wife and daughter health insurance is in then. I just want some advice thanks. Semper Fi

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hey Marine, welcome home. I don't have the answer for that question. But what I think is keep all your appointments and let them know were you stand. I am working my issues also. It is not easy. Hang in there Marine, wish you well.

Depends...Really it's up to you to make a choice on this. Would you rather keep working and keep getting 80% or stop working and file for IU? They won't grant IU unless you can't work and aren't working. This is just an inward choice you will have to make on your own.

I know it's tough to hang it up but if you're doing your health no good by working it might be better to do what's right for your body and not work. I imagine many of us would work if we could. I know I would rather work.

i'm a marine vet. 04 to 08 (machinegunner). Did 3 tours.2 iraq, 1 afghanistan. Got was in a n humvee roller and was ejected over 25 foot embankment. got a grade 3 concussion and lower spine injury. on my first employment in fallujah that happened. My 2nd deployment i my humvee was blown up. got another grade three conccuson. i got slammed in the side and it about torn my left pec off. my jaw got messed up too. Third deployment was a no injurys :) ! I saw a lot of stuff as did most so now i have a lot of ptsd symptons. a gaf of 40. My decisions for service connection on first clame was 50% ptsd, 20% T.b.i., 20 % lowerback. 20% hearing, 10% tinnitus, 20% left pec or shoulder and 10% tmd, some jaw clicking thing and like 3 other 0% stuff ..so with therr math tota is 80%. I put in increase for back, tbi and ptsd all have gotten worse. Versy suicidal and flashbacks alot. memor y problems too. The thing is i work though. I think i could work if i were a vegstable. always push through you know. But its getting tougher. well my question is if they dont grant me an increase enough to get 100% what would you do if you were in my shoes. my brain doesn't work well like it used to so i need advice. I would want like to have 100% so wife and daughter health insurance is in then. I just want some advice thanks. Semper Fi
Edited by jerrbilly

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask for increases int he physical stuff and stay away from the PTSD. That way way you can still work at 100 percent

If you get IU based on PTSD, your working days may as well be over.

File for increases and IU at the same time.

Good Luck.

• HadIt.com Elder
i'm a marine vet. 04 to 08 (machinegunner). Did 3 tours.2 iraq, 1 afghanistan. Got was in a n humvee roller and was ejected over 25 foot embankment. got a grade 3 concussion and lower spine injury. on my first employment in fallujah that happened. My 2nd deployment i my humvee was blown up. got another grade three conccuson. i got slammed in the side and it about torn my left pec off. my jaw got messed up too. Third deployment was a no injurys :) ! I saw a lot of stuff as did most so now i have a lot of ptsd symptons. a gaf of 40. My decisions for service connection on first clame was 50% ptsd, 20% T.b.i., 20 % lowerback. 20% hearing, 10% tinnitus, 20% left pec or shoulder and 10% tmd, some jaw clicking thing and like 3 other 0% stuff ..so with therr math tota is 80%. I put in increase for back, tbi and ptsd all have gotten worse. Versy suicidal and flashbacks alot. memor y problems too. The thing is i work though. I think i could work if i were a vegstable. always push through you know. But its getting tougher. well my question is if they dont grant me an increase enough to get 100% what would you do if you were in my shoes. my brain doesn't work well like it used to so i need advice. I would want like to have 100% so wife and daughter health insurance is in then. I just want some advice thanks. Semper Fi

When did you receive your last VA decision letter? Has it been over a year? Have you filed a "Notice of Disagreement"? It would be nice to get that 100% and still be allowed to work.

According to your post you have three 0% ratings. Do you think you could get any or all of these increased? Then you could get yourself closer or maybe even get to 100%.

Even if you stay at 80% and can work you're making more money than if you stopped working and got only IU. I'm sure you're making more than the difference between IU and 80%. That only around 1200 difference a month.

But on another note you can get SSD too to suppliment your IU. If you qualify for IU this will make your SSD case stronger even though they have different rules.

jerr

Edited by jerrbilly