VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Here Had Back Fusion Your Results Opinon

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Helo I am 80% now total SC but was told other week I am now faced with an option of Surgery with 3 disc replacement with hardware and screws and fushion of the disc. I wanted to hear others thoughts on what they have had with back surgery as this is also SC but I am really not sure if I want to face a 6 hour surgery. I had put in for IU in 2008 and it was denied and I asked for a reconsideration based on the fact that my back had gotten worse and now I can not get around with the two cruthches. I had some nerve damage show up on MRI and followed up with a EMG test which showed chronic nerve damage in the right leg. Any ideas or thoughts as I think I am on the slow boat to disaster. I know everyone has problems but I am afraid to have and not to have it at the same time. Have a good day.....

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The back will still be rated on the range of motion post fusion.

The Nerves will berated separately. They are supposed to do that according to the regs. I have seen some serious lowballs with back claims.

The Max you can get is a 60 for the back not including the nerves.

J

Hello oldman273, I had a back fusion done last year, did not go well, I have a severe drop foot, numbness on right leg and foot and butt cheek, still taking pain meds and depression meds, the reason as to my condition now as per my surgeon is that I had three prior surgeries, one a redo, all these on L4-L5, I am now on SSD and have applied for TDIU, some people come out alright, it;s a toss up! Good Luck.

The back will still be rated on the range of motion post fusion.

The Nerves will berated separately. They are supposed to do that according to the regs. I have seen some serious lowballs with back claims.

The Max you can get is a 60 for the back not including the nerves.

J

Post fusion rom I have no Idea about what that will be I am just looking into that aspect of the surgery right now. I do have some people that are supposed to get back to me about their opinion of my spine. They are Docs who are going to look at MRI for me as a favor. What I do not get is how the rater can say that a 20 plus year old injury would not be the cause of artheritis in my lumbar area where the injury was in the first place.

I did want to ask you or anyone out there If a SC condition cause or agrivates a non service condition that non Service condition is supposed to be rated as if it were SC? I have been having some problems with my upper back that shows some problems with the spine that are affecting my nerves in both my hands. I was told on the phone htat if they were asked about this that the lower back problems would be causing stress on my upper spine that could be as likely as the cause of my upper back C12 -C14 problems. I have had no injury to my back other than SC injury. Adios and have a good day I will have to do some thinking as the back issue is a hard one to look at. Have a good day....

• HadIt.com Elder

Oldman

How many opinions have you gotten from doctors on the need for a fusion. I know that it is not minor surgery. I think it is a last resort type of surgery. Also, the surgery may be successful, but you continue to have serious pain. Have you tried every other option? My back doctor discussed it with me. I decided that as long as I could walk I would not have it done. I hate the idea of being on dope for the rest of my life, but at present I can walk and I do have some hours of the day when I am not in persistent pain. That is only due to taking percoset 4 times a day.

oldman,

I had the surgery 30 days ago and did get some relief but if your nerves are damaged you may not get a whole lot of relief from it. I had a pinched nerve at C-6 and C-7. The numbness is gone but still have some spasm and residual pain from nerve damage. One heck of a sore throat for about 8 or 10 days. Easy on the meds because if you take too many they lose their desired effect. Take it easy and let your body heal! God Bless!!!

Oldman

How many opinions have you gotten from doctors on the need for a fusion. I know that it is not minor surgery. I think it is a last resort type of surgery. Also, the surgery may be successful, but you continue to have serious pain. Have you tried every other option? My back doctor discussed it with me. I decided that as long as I could walk I would not have it done. I hate the idea of being on dope for the rest of my life, but at present I can walk and I do have some hours of the day when I am not in persistent pain. That is only due to taking percoset 4 times a day.

Thanks Yes this next opinion will be my 3rd go around to see if it is worth the risk, I cannot dress myself socks shoes or pants. Last year the surgeon told me that there was nothing I could do right now other than have a stimulator put in. I did the trail and had the stimulator put in me and it worked for a while but the pain is horible. I am also being treated for depression put a claim in for it along with IU but have not heard anything on the reconsideration based on my current condition. The VA sure is quick to take stuff away but slow in getting it out as one older Vet down at the hospital told me last week. I have been at applying for IU only about 2 years the first turn down was expected but my claim is complicated. I am going to the last surgeon this next month for his view on it. I was trying to get the stuff I needed done here before I move. I like what I hear out of the Medical University there but I am going to try and make it to charleston this next week and go down there and poke around. I want to see if what they say is true. Thanks I am not going into this lightly. Have a good day...