VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Additional Resources For Ptsd Assistance/suicide Prevention

Rate this question

lbean

Question

Sorry, sorry to just barge in, but I wondered if these additional suicide prevention/PTSD assistance resources might be useful?

We lost our son, Sgt. Coleman S. Bean, to suicide in 2008. Since that time, we have spent many hours with those who served with Coleman and we've become convinced that there are soldiers and vets who, for their own reasons, may not seek mental health assistance from the uniformed services or the VA.

The National Veterans Foundation runs a hotline -- 1.888.777.4443. Vets trained in crisis intervention work the phones.

Both GiveAnHour (www.giveanhour.org) and The Soldier's Project (www.thesoldiersproject.org) provide counseling on a free-of-charge, confidential basis and both have a national reach. GiveAnHour has therapists across the county that have donated their time and they are easy to find with a zipcode search. Therapists with the Soldier's Project can connect in person, with Skype, by email ... whatever works.

Both are particularly useful for people who may be geographically distant from military or VA services.

Vets4Vets offer peer support services. Phone: 520.319.5500.

Thank you for letting me post this.

Please take good care.

Linda Bean

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Sorry, sorry to just barge in, but I wondered if these additional suicide prevention/PTSD assistance resources might be useful?

We lost our son, Sgt. Coleman S. Bean, to suicide in 2008. Since that time, we have spent many hours with those who served with Coleman and we've become convinced that there are soldiers and vets who, for their own reasons, may not seek mental health assistance from the uniformed services or the VA.

The National Veterans Foundation runs a hotline -- 1.888.777.4443. Vets trained in crisis intervention work the phones.

Both GiveAnHour (www.giveanhour.org) and The Soldier's Project (www.thesoldiersproject.org) provide counseling on a free-of-charge, confidential basis and both have a national reach. GiveAnHour has therapists across the county that have donated their time and they are easy to find with a zipcode search. Therapists with the Soldier's Project can connect in person, with Skype, by email ... whatever works.

Both are particularly useful for people who may be geographically distant from military or VA services.

Vets4Vets offer peer support services. Phone: 520.319.5500.

Thank you for letting me post this.

Please take good care.

Linda Bean

Linda, Please accept my deepest condolences for the loss of your son, Coleman. We are on this earth for such a short time, and it sorrows me to learn of a fellow comrade who's life has been abruptly ended before his time. The shared experience of uniformed service bonds us as a family. My sympathies and solace to you and your family for our fallen comrade, Sgt. Coleman S. Bean.

• HadIt.com Elder

Dear Linda:

My condolences, I just lost my Brother on Christmas Day and I know how it must have hurt. Helping others is a good way to feel better and the information is critical. This war and the constant deployments has made it very hard on those who are serving and their families.

Thank you for your post