VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva Benefits

Rate this question

mrsvet28

Question

Hi all

Sent for CHAMPVA benefits and they sent a letter saying I need OHI - I never had insurance /years ago I was on medicaid and then they took it away because we were $20 over the income limit when they increased SS benefits-go figure!!!

Do I have to have insurance first-and can I get healthcare at the VA?

Thanks MrsVet

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

BTW, any doctor, hospital, etc., that accepts medicare must also accept CHAMPVA.

Matter-of-fact, they are supposed to send your bills to CHAMPVA using the same forms that they use to bill Medicare.

You can also just pay for your care, up front, and then turn in the receipts with a CHAMPVA claim form.

Just sent in over $2K in pharmacy receipts for my wife. Last time we mailed them a stack of pharmacy receipts ($2500) we received a check in the mail in three weeks.

CHAMPVA, one of the greatest benefits for a 100% veteran's family. And, great people to deal with, also. Actually had to call them once, and they were GREAT!

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry:

Why bother sending in receipts most pharmacies accept ChampVA and all you have to pay is copay

• HadIt.com Elder
Larry:

Why bother sending in receipts most pharmacies accept ChampVA and all you have to pay is copay

Most all of these pharmacy receipts were from purchases after my filing but prior to my receiving chap 35 (EED came into play).

Then, when all the CHAMPVA has payed up, which should be within the next couple weeks, I'll turn these into my CHAMPVA supplemental insurance carrier (American Military Retirees Association).