VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buying Firearms And Being Rated Incompetent.

Rate this question

cadillacjack305

Question

I was recently rated 100% PTSD and Incompetent and heard from someone if I am deemed incompetent that I can no longer buy firearms because my mental health records have been sent to the FBI.

I wanted to know if anyone on here knew if this is true?

And if it is true how do I get my rights to own a firearm back?

If this is true I'm going to be so very depressed.

Thanks Bro's and Sis's!!

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Depends, if your doc says you're incompetent to handle finances this is different and shouldn't affect your right to bear arms.

If he notes you're incompetent as far as judgment and thinking then this might affect your rights. I'm not up on the FBI thing but I thinks that's a bunch of rubbish about your mental health records being sent to the FBI. Also, if this was to happen, the FBI would contact you somehow letting you know you can't own a gun.

Unless you have something in writing (Official letter) telling you your right to own a gun is restricted you should be ok.

jerr

I was recently rated 100% PTSD and Incompetent and heard from someone if I am deemed incompetent that I can no longer buy firearms because my mental health records have been sent to the FBI.

Thanks Bro's and Sis's!!

Edited by jerrbilly

Thanks Bro's and Sis's!!

I havent cried in years but I know I'm going to cry once someone confirms this. Can't believe what I got myself into knew I should have never trusted the VA and told them I'm crazy.

Yeah I called the VA today to check my status and she said my rating for PTSD has changed from 50% to 100% and Incompetent. I didn't tell them I was suicidal or wanted to kill anyone other than Bin Laden so I think my Incompetence would be like anyone else on here. Has anyone bought a firearm since they got deemed 100% PTSD w/ Incompetence?

Just hearing my name went to the FBI and all that has me all kinds of upset. I don't want to do nothing bad. I'm so down about this.

I would think you could go do a check at any firearm store. There is probably a fee but at least it would clear your mind.

I seriously doubt your on the list but I would check and make sure. They probably declared you incompetent to handle your finances which is more common.

jerr

Yeah I called the VA today to check my status and she said my rating for PTSD has changed from 50% to 100% and Incompetent. I didn't tell them I was suicidal or wanted to kill anyone other than Bin Laden so I think my Incompetence would be like anyone else on here. Has anyone bought a firearm since they got deemed 100% PTSD w/ Incompetence?

Just hearing my name went to the FBI and all that has me all kinds of upset. I don't want to do nothing bad. I'm so down about this.

cj,

I seriously doubt the VA has supplied your name and info to the FBI.

Issues of gun ownership & CCW License is up to the States not the Feds.

You can do a search here at Hadit on this issue.

You're in Fl. like me - you can search The Florida Statues online.

You may want to study our State Statues.

Here's some links to calm you down on this issue.

We just covered it a few months back.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33896

Link to CCW Permit - Florida

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/applicati...nstructions.pdf

QUESTION 12

If you have been adjudicated incompetent under Section 744.331,

Florida Statutes, or similar laws of any other state;

committed to a mental institution under Chapter 394, Florida Statutes,

or similar laws of any other state;

or adjudicated mentally

defective in any court,

you are not eligible for licensure unless you have received federal relief from disabilities

Link to Florida Statues

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie