VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buying Firearms And Being Rated Incompetent.

Rate this question

cadillacjack305

Question

I was recently rated 100% PTSD and Incompetent and heard from someone if I am deemed incompetent that I can no longer buy firearms because my mental health records have been sent to the FBI.

I wanted to know if anyone on here knew if this is true?

And if it is true how do I get my rights to own a firearm back?

If this is true I'm going to be so very depressed.

Thanks Bro's and Sis's!!

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think it varies state to state now after what happened at Va tech and the various other shooting sprees, I wouldnt worry but I do know for a fact I went and bought a rifle and it was plainly stated on the form to check yes or no, The question have you ever been deemed Incompetent or a threat by a mental health professional and that didnt used to be there, Neither did the have you been covicted of a domestic violence charge. Now mind you that you can check whatever you want and more than likely get your gun but if you get caught lying on a firearms application to obtain a weapon! Dont want to be in those shoes, a friend of mine did and he pulled 30 days and is still on 2 years probation. Just becareful with it

Did he get in trouble for lieing on that particular question or was it for something else? I ask this because if you checked "no" and was told years earlier you were incompetent how in the heck would they ever know?

I guess what my point is declaring incompetence on a gun application is very vague.

Example: Let's say i'm filling the form out and come to that question. I think to myself that I was told I was incompetent for handling my finances or for handling daily living. Would this be considered incompetent to own a firearm. I know if this was the case I would check "no" but that's just me.

Too much room for interpretation

I think it varies state to state now after what happened at Va tech and the various other shooting sprees, I wouldnt worry but I do know for a fact I went and bought a rifle and it was plainly stated on the form to check yes or no, The question have you ever been deemed Incompetent or a threat by a mental health professional and that didnt used to be there, Neither did the have you been covicted of a domestic violence charge. Now mind you that you can check whatever you want and more than likely get your gun but if you get caught lying on a firearms application to obtain a weapon! Dont want to be in those shoes, a friend of mine did and he pulled 30 days and is still on 2 years probation. Just becareful with it
Edited by jerrbilly

I think if we are deemed incompetent it means everything jerrbilly from the finances to the firearms. I talked to my friend who is lives in Colorado and is incompetent he said has bought firearms from the gun store recently so I guess it is state to state. If what deviat is saying is correct and if you have to check yes or no about have you ever been deemed Incompetent or a threat by a mental health professional we would have to check yes since we are incompetent. Can't lie on that unless you want to spend time in jail.

Thanks Carlie for the links they are going to help me out a lot once I read them.

I guess we're all incompetent and none of us should own a gun. Heck, I was told I had some incompetency issues in 2003 so I guess I should check "yes" ha....Yep, another control tactic from our own Government. Let's see how many we can scare with mental illness to check "yes" and get denied their rights.

too vague but people will do what they want anyway. To each his own

If what deviat is saying is correct and if you have to check yes or no about have you ever been deemed Incompetent or a threat by a mental health professional we would have to check yes since we are incompetent. Can't lie on that unless you want to spend time in jail.

Thanks Carlie for the links they are going to help me out a lot once I read them.

Edited by jerrbilly

I know what you're talking about brother but if the man says check here if you fit in this category not doing so will get you all kind of hemmed up.

Before I break any laws I will have to try every way possible to do it legal.

If the incompetent thing is true I'm going to appeal my decision and try to get the incompetence off my record.

I hope someone can come threw and clarify this subject for us.