VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buying Firearms And Being Rated Incompetent.

Rate this question

cadillacjack305

Question

I was recently rated 100% PTSD and Incompetent and heard from someone if I am deemed incompetent that I can no longer buy firearms because my mental health records have been sent to the FBI.

I wanted to know if anyone on here knew if this is true?

And if it is true how do I get my rights to own a firearm back?

If this is true I'm going to be so very depressed.

Thanks Bro's and Sis's!!

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

not being a lawyer by any means, I read the VA evaluation as " Financial " only.....

you have trouble with paying bills, and may not safeguard the VA monies as you might, so the VA wants a person to dole out the cash to the proper people.

No other things implied.

However, if you wish for something more keep worrying about it.

Something tells me that after you have the diagnosis of PTSD and the rating, you cannot just say.... " Whoops "

it is there for ever...... no time outs.. no do overs

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I was recently denied a pistol here in Wa state at the local level. I was sure it was because Im on SSDI for PTSD and 70% Va with an IU claim in currently. It really got my blood boiling to hear I was denied(never happened before, but new to Wa) so I went to the sheriffs office that denied the state level application for the pistol to figure it out. Turn out Im just a normal criminal, not a whacked out vet. I was arrest while at Ft Bliss for arson, went to a pre-trial and was never charged for a crime. But Tx never cleared the incident from my record, and it read like I was convicted of arson(auto-denial in Wa)

But, in researching why I could have poss been denied I read the Wa law regarding pistol sale and CCW lic's. I seems they perform a much more indepth backfround check than the feds do and that includes searching the dept. of health and human services database, which maint's a record of those citizens that have been deemed incompitent for mental health reasons and other records too. From what Ive figured out a mental health "practicioner" or M.D. is who would report to Dept HHS. only after following a certian diagnostic and legal standard, that someone is incompitent in a dangerous way. The va will submit the fact that you have been deemed dangerous to the safety of the public if they feel it nessesary. Anyways, thats my 2cents