VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Smc Question

Rate this question

alphahec

Question

My father (veteran plus spouse) is 100% s/c plus SMC L. He also has various other conditions to include a 60% s/c condition. Can he also request SMC S? If so how much more would that be? Just checking to see if it is worth it!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

SMC-S is the Housebound award that is statutory IF you have a single disability rated at 100% and other SC condition that is 60% or more. The Housebound (HB) SMC-S is $320 per month.

I have SMC-S and have rated SC conditions of 100%,70%,70%,50%,10%, and 10% that total 310%, but combined total I am only 100% + SMC-S.

• HadIt.com Elder

WOW, thought I was going to have to call VA & give up my SMC "S" because I'm not Housebound.

But, after further review checked the VBA 38CFR site & found that Housebound is the second part of rule & here is both parts..

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and:

(1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or

(2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime.