VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Couple Of Questions.....

Rate this question

phoenix121

Question

I have a few questions I am hoping some of you can answer or give advice on.

Just some background......I am currently rated at 30% for PTSD and do have submitted a reclaim for it. I have been home from my combat deployment for almost 5 years now and recently rated last year after my wife left me because she said I am not the same person anymore.

1.) Does the FBI get a notice because of this? What about local and state law enforcement?

2.) Does this rating "flag" me for background checks from future employers? What about federal jobs?

3.) I have been seeing a Psychologist for almost a year now and honestly, hasn't helped one damn bit. I am sure its because she has no idea what she is doing since she is fresh out of school (although a very older women). Last week she suggested to me that there isn't much she can do for me and I should only see her once a month for a check-up, does this sound right to you guys, ever experienced this? (leads to 4th question).

4.) I am not sure how to deal with this PTSD, The only way I can see me beating this is by facing my demons and trying to get back over there. Anyone ever feel this way? With my VA rating, is re-enlistment possible back into the Infantry? I know it does sound a little crazy but its something I have been thinking about for years. I am sure the question is going to come up "why would you want too do go through that again". To answer that, I don't know but I feel I need too move on and that's the only way. If the Army offered a one year deployment enlistment I would jump all over it but I doubt they have anything like that.

Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I feel where you're coming from brother. I wanted to reup but then just said xxxx it all and asked for an increase. I think you can get a waiver for 30%. One of my bros tried to reup with 30% and they denied him but that was because he was going from grunt to pog. You should ask for an increase in benefits if you feel like things arnt changing in your favor but thats gonna bar you from reupping.

I have a few questions I am hoping some of you can answer or give advice on.

Just some background......I am currently rated at 30% for PTSD and do have submitted a reclaim for it. I have been home from my combat deployment for almost 5 years now and recently rated last year after my wife left me because she said I am not the same person anymore.

1.) Does the FBI get a notice because of this? What about local and state law enforcement?

2.) Does this rating "flag" me for background checks from future employers? What about federal jobs?

3.) I have been seeing a Psychologist for almost a year now and honestly, hasn't helped one damn bit. I am sure its because she has no idea what she is doing since she is fresh out of school (although a very older women). Last week she suggested to me that there isn't much she can do for me and I should only see her once a month for a check-up, does this sound right to you guys, ever experienced this? (leads to 4th question).

4.) I am not sure how to deal with this PTSD, The only way I can see me beating this is by facing my demons and trying to get back over there. Anyone ever feel this way? With my VA rating, is re-enlistment possible back into the Infantry? I know it does sound a little crazy but its something I have been thinking about for years. I am sure the question is going to come up "why would you want too do go through that again". To answer that, I don't know but I feel I need too move on and that's the only way. If the Army offered a one year deployment enlistment I would jump all over it but I doubt they have anything like that.

Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Phoenix,

You have so many questions, Ill try to answer them all. I to am a returning vet from Iraq and yes I to think about going back for my own reasons. As for reporting your PTSD local law enforcement and the FBI are non the wiser. Remember "privacy act", it is only reported if you tell your psych. you are going to "kill someone" after you leave and they deem it lagitimate. Not available on background check. As for your psych. it sounds like you are being seen at the VA, just by your description of treatment. I suggest you find your nearest vet center. The vet center is the only place I go. I did the VA gig and in the end was kicked to the curb, as you are being. The vet center I go to sees me 1/week, has no time limit on how long I can go, and is very layed back. I think I touched on everything.

Good luck,

Bergie

I really appreciate the answers guys.

As for reuping....I still haven't decided or have even talked to anyone about it except this forum and the shrink I have been seeing, which I did just find out, is a clinical social worker and nothing more. In fact she is still in her training phase which is frustrating because I don't understand why the VA would not hire a full psychologist trained in ptsd but whatever. On a side note I did receive a phone call from a guy at the VA center who simply wants to talk so I think I will do that soon.

Thanks for the info on whether or not the gov knows about my status, that would bother significantly as I am trying to get a GS position.

I have filed for a re-evaluation of my status so we will see. My VA Rep who is an awesome guy was a little baffled by the ptsd graders remarks after I went to see him. I am not sure about how they rate the scale but he marked a 45 and they gave me 30% and he said that was wrong and urged me to refile.

and on a side note, I just realized this forum works from the bottom up. Clicking on threads I had no idea that was the case and thought people were simply...."off" from the initial posts I read. (doh!)

Again, thanks.

Facing your demons in a military environment might make your PTSD worse. I would suggest you face your demons with good therapy so you can express your feelings and emotions. If you're not happy with your current psychologist seek out another until you find one you can trust and feel comfortable with.

jerr

I am not sure how to deal with this PTSD, The only way I can see me beating this is by facing my demons and trying to get back over there. Anyone ever feel this way?

I have been seeing a Psychologist for almost a year now and honestly, hasn't helped one damn bit. I am sure its because she has no idea what she is doing since she is fresh out of school (although a very older women). Last week she suggested to me that there isn't much she can do for me and I should only see her once a month for a check-up, does this sound right to you guys, ever experienced this? (leads to 4th question).

You may want to seek out another psychologist. One that you can trust and bond with so they can understand what you're going through better. This is very important for successful treatment and therapy

4.) I am not sure how to deal with this PTSD, The only way I can see me beating this is by facing my demons and trying to get back over there.

Going back in that environment or any hostile environment may trigger your PTSD and make it worse. I suggest you face your demons with therapy. It's hard but opening up to a psychologist that understands can dramatically help your situation.

Edited by jerrbilly