VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpt

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I see a lot of people going through the CPT process now. Is this something that the VA wants to push out there for the PTSD vets? The counselor the vet center wants me to do this.

I told him I submitted an NOD for my 50% PTSD and my denial for IU.

Will not doing this hurt my NOD?

I really don't want to go thru 12 weeks of more BS going over stuff I try to forget.

I have my little world that seems to work for me and I think I am doing OK without doing this.

Going to the MH department at the VA every month to review my meds and going to the vet center every 3 weeks is as much as I deal with.

Bill

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was told that just refusing treatment doesn't look good. Don't know if it's true. I think that refusing treatment could be construed as that you don't really need treatment. I also think that the VA is always looking for any little tidbit that might support their decision to deny your claim.

If you can't face going in more often than you do, or if group sessions are too stressful, tell your therapist. They should understand and put it in your records that you aren't ready for that level of treatment at this time. That's not unusual at all and is something that I've done. My former therapist (another changing of the guard... sigh) was really pushing Deep Exposure Therapy and kept insisting that reliving my traumas would be good for me to do. (Holy cats, I get palpitations just writing about that idea here!!) When she saw how distressed it made me to talk about doing it, she said I just wasn't ready for that kind of treatment but that I might be able to do it later. She also put it in my records. I was extremely grateful to be able to postpone that little bit of hell for a while...

Good luck to you.

I seen about 3 different PTSD doctors my first year out the Army for my VA disability rating appointments and I was rated 50% with CIB Purple Heart 10% for my knee and two other 0%'s and was giving sleeping meds and anti depressants and didn't see another doctor for about a year and a half so then I ran out of sleeping meds and anti-depressants I never took the anti-D's so I went in to the emergency room to get more sleeping meds so the VA assigned me to the PTSD clinic and I did treatment with them for about 2 months then stopped talking to the Psychologist and talking about all the shit eating meds I never took other than the sleeping meds. In total I've been to 11 to 12 different psychologist on 16 to 17 different appointments at the VA from everything to comp evals to PTSD clinic appointments. I haven't been to see a psychologist in about 9 months other than the increase in disability comp appointment I had in OCT and I got increased from 50% PTSD 10% Knee to 100% PTSD 10% knee. But I also got arrested for disorderly conduct, got into fights with people, and got in to a fight with my boss working under the table doing lawn maintenance and the paperwork they sent me had a lot of that writting in it as to the reason I am rated 100%. You just got to explain how hard working and dealing with people is with your PTSD and you can get an increase if you try and have the proven stressors.

I mean if you were a cook in Baghdad and you heard a couple of mortars your not going to get 100% PTSD but if you were a grunt with some very easily verifiable stressors you'll get a rating for PTSD easily. Do you have a CIB, CAB, Purple Heart, anything with Valor, Combat ribbon, any of that?

I mean if you were a cook in Baghdad and you heard a couple of mortars your not going to get 100% PTSD but if you were a grunt with some very easily verifiable stressors you'll get a rating for PTSD easily.

caddy,

I do not agree with either of the above.

A cook in Baghdad could also get PTSD rated at 100 percent

just as could a grunt.

Getting PTSD SC'd is the first step -

after that the percentage level depends totally on the residual effects

one has in daily living. The cook just as the grunt could certainly

meet the criteria for 100 percent as it has nothing to do with

the intensity of the stressor at this point.

billy2,

I have tried both CPT and Exposure therapy,

neither one are for me.

My MH providers say I still have too much shame

anger and guilt,for those therapy's to be beneficial

for me.

I do much better with one on one talk therapy.

I'm going to the Vet Center once a week and have

medication management and talk one every three months

with my psychiatrist ay my VAMC.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually combat PTSD is a small fraction of the people who have PTSD. If you get PTSD while serving you are or should be treated the same.

I was a grunt with the Cav. so the stressors are no problems.

I hear that the CPT process requires a lot of work on the part of the vet. I don't feel like doing something that is intense and will drag up a lot of things that I tried to forget over the years. I want to go forward with my life and not backwards. If they had a program where I would be hypnotized and I would forget that I was in the service, thats what I want. I don't need to relive the past.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder
... I mean if you were a cook in Baghdad and you heard a couple of mortars your not going to get 100% PTSD but if you were a grunt with some very easily verifiable stressors you'll get a rating for PTSD easily. Do you have a CIB, CAB, Purple Heart, anything with Valor, Combat ribbon, any of that?

Thank you for your service and sacrifice, 'cadillacjack305'. Being combat wounded or experiencing the extremes of war, means nothing in the civilian world, my friend. If and when we make it home, we are kicked to the curb and told to stand in line with the rest of our comrades, who we once depended on for support and service, when we were knee deep in hell. Back home we are all as one. Welcome Home & Best wishes.

Edited by Commander Bob