VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpt

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I see a lot of people going through the CPT process now. Is this something that the VA wants to push out there for the PTSD vets? The counselor the vet center wants me to do this.

I told him I submitted an NOD for my 50% PTSD and my denial for IU.

Will not doing this hurt my NOD?

I really don't want to go thru 12 weeks of more BS going over stuff I try to forget.

I have my little world that seems to work for me and I think I am doing OK without doing this.

Going to the MH department at the VA every month to review my meds and going to the vet center every 3 weeks is as much as I deal with.

Bill

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was a grunt with the Cav. so the stressors are no problems.

I hear that the CPT process requires a lot of work on the part of the vet. I don't feel like doing something that is intense and will drag up a lot of things that I tried to forget over the years. I want to go forward with my life and not backwards. If they had a program where I would be hypnotized and I would forget that I was in the service, thats what I want. I don't need to relive the past.

Bill

Bill,

The VA MH people keep telling me that CPT and Exposure Therapy are

to help us move forward.

But as they say I am in "stuck" mode.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember just thinking about my first panic attack was enough to start the fear. If it is done in a safe and theraputic environment I can see it. I was experiencing it because some trigger would set me off. That was a horrible experience. I took drugs to calm me down. As a matter of fact to avoid that anxiety I took all the drugs I could stand without killing myself. If Panic is part of your PTSD then it is so bad that reliving it is just the pits. When the panic would start I would start drinking or drugging as fast as I could. I know a guy with severe panic/ptsd. You can see the fear in his eyes. You feel you are losing your mind because you can't identify where the fear is coming from but it is intense. Panic disorder and PTSD as so similar I can see why so many self-medicate. I self medicated every chance I got the feeling of creeping fear. I still do sometimes. I have ended up in the ER because of it.

When you get a real shock you can have what they call a dissociative disorder reaction. This is where your emotions become blunted and sort of separated from your conscience mind. If it gets really bad you get the 1000 yard stare and that zombie look because your mind is trying to find a place to run and hide. That is what happens when the circut breaker trips inside your own head.

Hi Bill and Thank You for your service!! Like Carlie I am in "stuck" mode, the CPT program helps some and not others, it didn't help me one little bit. Talk about the 1000 yard stare and blunted emotions I could be the "poster child". I'm not bitter, I'm happy I was able to serve my Country and come home alive and in realitively one piece, would I do it again? In a heartbeat!! But I am suffering from a mental disorder called PTSD that can not be cured! Ever!! I can't work, I take meds all day long, I have flashbacks, nightmares, difficulty sleeping, can't stand to be around or get along with people in general, live with constant fear and panic and the shrinks can't understand why I don't seem to get any better. Welcome to my world Bill. You can try the program but if it becomes too much you can always leave the program, just make sure they document everything in your medical records. The last day I was in the program the Doc told me I have a lot of issues to deal with and sure enough they are listed in my medical records. Welcome home Bill.

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi Bill and Thank You for your service!! Like Carlie I am in "stuck" mode, the CPT program helps some and not others, it didn't help me one little bit. Talk about the 1000 yard stare and blunted emotions I could be the "poster child". I'm not bitter, I'm happy I was able to serve my Country and come home alive and in realitively one piece, would I do it again? In a heartbeat!! But I am suffering from a mental disorder called PTSD that can not be cured! Ever!! I can't work, I take meds all day long, I have flashbacks, nightmares, difficulty sleeping, can't stand to be around or get along with people in general, live with constant fear and panic and the shrinks can't understand why I don't seem to get any better. Welcome to my world Bill. You can try the program but if it becomes too much you can always leave the program, just make sure they document everything in your medical records. The last day I was in the program the Doc told me I have a lot of issues to deal with and sure enough they are listed in my medical records. Welcome home Bill.

You nailed it.. Welcome Home 'pigdriver'...

Edited by Commander Bob

Food for thought! I am a AF Vietnam Vet who did not have a combat AFSC/MOS. However, I was part of a Combat Support Group and performed Mobility Operations as a Team Leader. I participated in six major operations and lived like a grunt. I have a Letter of Commendation from a Brigader General, 196th Light Infantry Brigade to me and my team members more of a personal letter than a boilerplate letter. I do not have any of the CIB goodies etc. I went for my PTSD CP in Tucson yesterday. I had submitted a seven page stressor letter, along with attachments and photos to support my claim. The Psychologist said he had read my letter, and I said I had developed additional materials. He put his hand out and said you have more than satisfied the stressor reguirement. He asked me questions about my return and life in general and what was goinng on with me today. I gave him the best examples I could and after ten minutes he again put his had out and said "I have heard enough I am diagnosing you with PTSD". I got choked up and barely got out "You see what I mean". He then explained the review process and said he woud not give me a estimate as to my rating, fair enough! You don't make promises you can't keep. I also had a IHD C&P and all that happened is that the Doc measured my chest zipper and the zipper on my leg, sent me for a EKG and chest X-Ray. I had a two page letter, two days old from my Cardiologist specifically stating IHD, and a NST showing a LVEF of 39%. The Doc said you have IHD and that was that. It was a good experience but I had my ducks in a row. I hope all do their homework before a C&P.

Thank you for service and sacrifice, 'cadillacjack305'. Being combat wounded or experiencing the extremes of war, means nothing in the civilian world, my friend. If and when we make it home, we are kicked to the curb and told to stand line with the rest of our comrades, who we once depended on for support and service, when we were knee deep in hell. Back home we are all as one. Welcome Home & Best wishes.

Well said, Commander...well said. Thanks,