VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Affect Does Voc Rehab Have On Tdiu Claim

Rate this question

ollieee6

Question

Greetings,

I hope that someone can offer me some type of advice. I have a service-connected disability rating of 10% (PTSD)(2007), which is grossly underated. Against advice from a local vet rep because she said I would surely be denied, I applied for Ch. 31, Voc Rehab. in 2009, I was found to be entitled to Voc Rehab, the counselor that assessed me, was very distraught at the fact that I was rated 10%.

While being assessed, she made extensive notes stating that I was unable to work due to my service connected disability, although rated at 10%, my condition presented a great barrier, and even though I was approved, I would require EXTENSIVE counseling and I may not even complete the program.

After reviewing guidelines, in order for a Veteran to be rated at 10% he must present MILD symptoms. Since being discharged in 2004, my symptoms have been severe, documented by doctors.

The Voc Rehab counselor told me to file for an increase IMMEDIATELY, which I did in March 2009. My claim is currently at the review board. I have done extensive research, reviewed medical records, and submitted solid evidence, with guidelines, and references which pertain to my case.

I recieve SSD, and have not worked since 2006. I know that there are certain requirements that must be met to qualify for TDIU, and currently my schedular rating is below. I also requested TDIU based on Extra Schedular considerations. I have a Medical Verification form, from the VA doctor stating that I am PERMANATELY unable to work due to my illness.

This is my first time applying for an increase. Do you think that the records from Voc Rehab will help my TDIU claim?

• HadIt.com Elder

Jerr:

Your ignorance can be very costly to Veterans on Hadit. Quit making things up with nothing to back it up but your opinion. You are very wrong and could mislead Members.

I recommend to all Members that before they make a decision to make sure that it is backed up by more than someone's opinion.

Voc Rehab will not cost a Veteran TDIU. Most of the time it is merely a plan to rehab a Disabled Veteran so that they can get a job. From the get go it is saying that the Veteran is unemployable without further training.

Pete, do you think it's likely an examiner will put in his exam that a vet is unemployable if he tells him he's going to school full-time?

Is this what you're referring to as ignorance?

In all my psych exams the examiner has "always" asked me if I was currently going to school. Wonder why he would ask that.

I never said full time school is a bar to IU.

I'm done with this thread

Jerr:

Your ignorance can be very costly to Veterans on Hadit. Quit making things up with nothing to back it up but your opinion. You are very wrong and could mislead Members.

I recommend to all Members that before they make a decision to make sure that it is backed up by more than someone's opinion.

Voc Rehab will not cost a Veteran TDIU. Most of the time it is merely a plan to rehab a Disabled Veteran so that they can get a job. From the get go it is saying that the Veteran is unemployable without further training.

Edited by jerrbilly

• HadIt.com Elder
Phillip, think of it this way,

Being denied Voc Rehab is strong evidence for IU. Are we in agreement with this at least? Yes, I agree

Now look at this in reverse. Wouldn't going to school full time hinder the chances for being awarded IU? Sure as heck wouldn't help. No, it wouldn't, because you can't work and need training.

Why would a examiner put down that you're unemployable if you're going to school full-time to become employed? Going to school has nothing to do w/unemployability and if you are TDIU the VA cannot reduce you until you've worked successfully for one year.

pr

Makes sense to me.

Edited by Philip Rogers