VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

About The Last Page Of Va Form 21-0781a...

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I submitted a VA FORM 21-0781a just before Thanksgiving, with my two worst stressor events described and a sentence or two about each of the items on the last page. Last week I read a recommendation on another PTSD-MST forum which advised to only discuss one stressor and to be very expansive when discussing the last page items.

I haven't submitted a Statement in Support of Claim about the MST beyond the brief statement my Rep wrote up for me. I'm in a quandry because I'm afraid I haven't told (in writing) about the drastic change in me after service. I talked about it to VA therapists & psychiatrists, but never in writing.

How important is it that I write that all out? Should I submit another SSC detailing who I was before and after? I'm seeing my VA Rep tomorrow, so I could do it tonight. I haven't had a C & P for mental health yet.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I submitted a VA FORM 21-0781a just before Thanksgiving, with my two worst stressor events described and a sentence or two about each of the items on the last page. Last week I read a recommendation on another PTSD-MST forum which advised to only discuss one stressor and to be very expansive when discussing the last page items.

I haven't submitted a Statement in Support of Claim about the MST beyond the brief statement my Rep wrote up for me. I'm in a quandry because I'm afraid I haven't told (in writing) about the drastic change in me after service. I talked about it to VA therapists & psychiatrists, but never in writing.

How important is it that I write that all out? Should I submit another SSC detailing who I was before and after? I'm seeing my VA Rep tomorrow, so I could do it tonight. I haven't had a C & P for mental health yet.

In terms of how much depth to go into, I would ask my DAV rep for instructions. After you write a few rough drafts, take it to your rep and see what he thinks. If he or she is satisfied with it, submit it.

My DAV rep stated to me that about 80% of PTSD denials come from stressors that can't be verified. In my limited experience, I think the most important thing about submitting a 21-0781a is whether or not the stressor can be verified. If the event can be verified they will schedule a C&P exam. If they can't verify it, they will send you a letter requesting more evidence. If you can not verify the stressor you are almost certainly looking at a denial and follow-on appeal.

The good news about that it that if you take a look at BVA decisions you will see many cases of MST and personal assault that have been won on appeal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Very.

Yes.

Very.

Yes.

Larry, thanks so much.