VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wish Me Luck!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Before I start, I tried to post this in the Veterans Benefits State & Federal forum, but did not have permission to post there. Could a moderator please move this over there?

Alabama has more varieties of license plates than probably any other state. When I went to renew my license plate last year, I had a Desert Storm tag on my car. I asked about the Disabled Veteran tag and was told that I needed an affidavit from the VA which specified my SC percentage, which is understandable. They also said that if I got a Disabled Veteran tag, then I would get a discount on my registration. Sounds good, eh? Well, I wanted the discount, but also wanted my Desert Storm tag because it looks a whole lot better. The lady said it the discount doesn't apply to any other military tag.

I wrote a letter to my state Congressman, Cam Ward, asking him if it would be possible for the discount to apply to any disabled Veteran regardless of which tag we choose for our vehicle. I also suggested that we have an option to have a Disabled Veteran decal applied. When you think about it, having a retired military or war license plate probably means a lot more than being restricted to the generic DV tag just to get the discount. Last night, I got an email from Rep. Ward saying that he is drafting legislation to implement this and will introduce it to the state legislature within the next few weeks.

Wish me luck!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes- Good Luck with that-

it is inspiring to see that you took action on this which could result in many in your state benefiting from this.

Vync,

I will move this topic as you requested.

Good luck with your Congress Critter.

Now bear in mind that if they are to do this,

it may open up a very large list of different

tags to be made available to veterans, and I mean

hundereds of different tags.

jmho,

carlie

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

Thank you very much. Reading about your efforts to fight the system inspired me to do the same.

Carlie,

Thank you for moving the topic.

In my state, they already have found a way to prevent the creation of a large number of plates by simply adding a branch of service decal to the bottom. My Disabled Veteran tag has an "ARMY" decal on the bottom. By best friend's Armed Forces Retired tag has an "AIR FORCE" decal at the bottom, and so one... I assume they will simply add a second Disabled Veteran decal and then modify the billing codes in the system.

Vync,

The State of Florida offers military branch tags

that are not decals, but have the actual branch of service

indented into them.

I have an Army tag.

I was referring more to tags for:

WAC

Somallia

PG

RVN

WWII

Korea

Grenada

Project Shad 112

etc...

etc...

etc...

See where my head was going ~ lol.

carlie

BTW - Florida already has lots of Military reference tags.

Check em out.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/miltags.html#ng

Available military license plates:

National Guard

U.S. Reserve

Operation Enduring Freedom

Operation Iraqi Freedom

U.S. Paratrooper

Pearl Harbor Survivor

Ex-Prisoner of War

Purple Heart

Medal of Honor

Gold Star

Disabled Veteran

Disabled Veteran – Wheelchair Symbol

Disabled Veteran motorcycle

Paralyzed Vets of America

Paralyzed Vets of America motorcycle

AND

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

Support Our Troops

U.S. Air Force

U.S. Army

U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Marine Corps

U.S. Navy

U.S. Paratroopers

United We Stand

• HadIt.com Elder
Before I start, I tried to post this in the Veterans Benefits State & Federal forum, but did not have permission to post there. Could a moderator please move this over there?

Alabama has more varieties of license plates than probably any other state. When I went to renew my license plate last year, I had a Desert Storm tag on my car. I asked about the Disabled Veteran tag and was told that I needed an affidavit from the VA which specified my SC percentage, which is understandable. They also said that if I got a Disabled Veteran tag, then I would get a discount on my registration. Sounds good, eh? Well, I wanted the discount, but also wanted my Desert Storm tag because it looks a whole lot better. The lady said it the discount doesn't apply to any other military tag.

I wrote a letter to my state Congressman, Cam Ward, asking him if it would be possible for the discount to apply to any disabled Veteran regardless of which tag we choose for our vehicle. I also suggested that we have an option to have a Disabled Veteran decal applied. When you think about it, having a retired military or war license plate probably means a lot more than being restricted to the generic DV tag just to get the discount. Last night, I got an email from Rep. Ward saying that he is drafting legislation to implement this and will introduce it to the state legislature within the next few weeks.

Wish me luck!

Good Luck.

post-4811-1265731464_thumb.jpg

Edited by Commander Bob