VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wish Me Luck!

• HadIt.com Elder
Before I start, I tried to post this in the Veterans Benefits State & Federal forum, but did not have permission to post there. Could a moderator please move this over there?

Alabama has more varieties of license plates than probably any other state. When I went to renew my license plate last year, I had a Desert Storm tag on my car. I asked about the Disabled Veteran tag and was told that I needed an affidavit from the VA which specified my SC percentage, which is understandable. They also said that if I got a Disabled Veteran tag, then I would get a discount on my registration. Sounds good, eh? Well, I wanted the discount, but also wanted my Desert Storm tag because it looks a whole lot better. The lady said it the discount doesn't apply to any other military tag.

I wrote a letter to my state Congressman, Cam Ward, asking him if it would be possible for the discount to apply to any disabled Veteran regardless of which tag we choose for our vehicle. I also suggested that we have an option to have a Disabled Veteran decal applied. When you think about it, having a retired military or war license plate probably means a lot more than being restricted to the generic DV tag just to get the discount. Last night, I got an email from Rep. Ward saying that he is drafting legislation to implement this and will introduce it to the state legislature within the next few weeks.

Wish me luck!

good luck with that but with the difference being annual renewals with military specialty plates versus the DV plate being a permanent plate and no renewals, no ad valorem taxes, etc, I am glad to have the DV plate the hardest hurdle was getting the letter for the handicap symbol to many vets think just having a DV plate allows them to park in handicap parking spots and it doesn't not all disabilities require handicap parking ala PTSD mine is the heart condition which put me in a power chair so I get the plate with the blue wheelchair imprinted in it also

my plates was free getting a Army tag is like 25 a year plus ad valorem taxes I don't care that bad to want the Army tag plus the DV plates allows no paying parking meters etc there are lots of benefits for having that plate with the problems states are having with funds I don't see many of them adding more vanity plates to the option ot's hard to find the extra funds when some states are shutting down state parks etc right now

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

My Texas disabled tag costs me 3 bucks or 4 bucks a year. Also in Houston no charge for toll road but not in Dallas. I can also park in handicap. A 60% or more Texas Veteran can fill out some paper work pay a 5 dollar processing fee and get the plate. You can have a second plate but you have to pay full fee for it.

• HadIt.com Elder
My Texas disabled tag costs me 3 bucks or 4 bucks a year. Also in Houston no charge for toll road but not in Dallas. I can also park in handicap. A 60% or more Texas Veteran can fill out some paper work pay a 5 dollar processing fee and get the plate. You can have a second plate but you have to pay full fee for it.

Pete, believe it or not, in Dallas it makes a difference WHICH toll road you use:

Dallas North Tollway - you pay, even with DV plates.

Sam Rayburn Tollway (Hwy 121)- no pay.

AND:

Something I just discovered after the Wife and I just returned from Lost Wages.

NO CHARGE FOR PARKING AT D/FW AIRPORT. DV plates just saved me $40.

• HadIt.com Elder
Something I just discovered after the Wife and I just returned from Lost Wages.

NO CHARGE FOR PARKING AT D/FW AIRPORT. DV plates just saved me $40.

Speaking of Texas. Love that airport parking.... Did you know that the State tried to take all the DV, PH, POW, parking benefits away in the 1990s?

post-4811-1265746348_thumb.jpg

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Alabama is hopefully starting to catch up with the rest of the country.

I like some of the other ideas posted here, especially Testvet saying that you don't have to pay at parking meters.