VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Competency Proposed

Rate this question

JOHN1

Question

2 weeks ago I was told by my vso and the 1-800 a decision was made (PTSD increase) but there was a "compentency issue proposed".

Have not gotten anything in the mail.

Now what?

John

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You can check with the Va 800# every week or so and hopefully they can give you an accurate status-as to when the letter will come-

1-800-827-1000 hit 1,when asked then 2,3,1,0 and an operator will refer you to a VA rep.

But the letter should not take too long since the VSO already gave you a heads up.

Thanks again for your reply.

One other question.

If there is a "proposed incompentecy" issue and I an willing for my wife to be fiduciary, is it just a matter of paperwork or are we talking months.

Thanks So Much

John

It is really just paperwork and I think the VA still interviews the fiduciary but that could still take months.

I would think if a proposed fiduciary could get a statement perhaps from her own doctor, or employer, or even produce a good credit report maybe this could narrow down the time and show she is certainly sound enough to be the fiduciary.

If a spouse is already a vet's payee for SSDI -that too might produce a faster decision from the VA on their ability to be the payee.

Has anyone else here experienced how long this will take this vet so he can get his money? I only had experience with a few vets who VA wanted fiduciary for (their wives in each case) but it always took 3-4 months.

Berta:

I could get a letter from my private doc and my CPA stating I am competent to handle my finances or do you feel I should just wait and leave it alone? I don't want to mess up the decision already rendered.

Thanks

Could someone explain how this incompetence thing works after a fiduciary is assigned? What if the husband and wife have a joint account where the money is deposited. Or what if the wife just turns around and gives the husband the money. It seems to me that after a fiduciary is assigned the wife and husband can work things out however they want.

I guess my question here is how does the VA verify the wife is handling the funds and not him?

I'm just confused on how this all works just in case i'm declared incompetent on my next exam.

Edited by jerrbilly