VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Competency Proposed

Rate this question

JOHN1

Question

2 weeks ago I was told by my vso and the 1-800 a decision was made (PTSD increase) but there was a "compentency issue proposed".

Have not gotten anything in the mail.

Now what?

John

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Pete!

Hope the Doc's letter and CPA will get it taken care of before I get any paperwork and will be fairly soon!

John

ANYONE PLS

Take note of my last post (this thread) about taking a chance of messing up my rating by saying I am competent with my private doc's statement? Don't know what to do.

If I send a note from my private Doc stating I am competent to handle my "financial affairs" and the C&P Examiner states I am not, will I not mess up the rating they gave me( per 1-800 and my VSO) by contradicting his (raters)diagnosis. I have not received my letter yet but they are reviewing "proposed competency" at this time. In other words, try to kill the competency isssue before it is sent to me or should I wait for the letter?

Hope I am not confusing you. I REALLY need help now on this as I could fax the info.

Thanks

John

John, my friend I am in the same boat as you. I also have received the notice of proposal of incompetency. I have agreed to it. I have appointed my mother as fiduciary. She has raised me from a young child and she now can handle my funds as she is an appropriate authority figure and I trust her without discretion.

Now I receive my 100% disability compensation due to IU. I am waiting on a large retro pay amount. They are going and looking at my mom as fiduciary. I say this don't worry I will keep you updated on my scenario but this started in September and it is November. Two months of wait with 100% is not bad. I will hurry up and wait for this retro pay but I just thought not agreeing with the incompetency ruling would mean a longer wait because of the appeal. It is your choice but I just think it means you can't hold a gun and you have trouble balancing a checkbook. Half of America can not balance a checkbook. My mother has superb organizational skills. I wouldn't have it any other way and I believe the wait will be shorter. Good Luck and Bless you.

It is really just paperwork and I think the VA still interviews the fiduciary but that could still take months.

I would think if a proposed fiduciary could get a statement perhaps from her own doctor, or employer, or even produce a good credit report maybe this could narrow down the time and show she is certainly sound enough to be the fiduciary.

If a spouse is already a vet's payee for SSDI -that too might produce a faster decision from the VA on their ability to be the payee.

Has anyone else here experienced how long this will take this vet so he can get his money? I only had experience with a few vets who VA wanted fiduciary for (their wives in each case) but it always took 3-4 months.

Hi Berta, I am happy you posted. I am 2 months into awaiting a decision on my fiduciary. I think that once that is done they will release my retro pay to her. I think that it will be about the same time even though it is my mother as my fiduciary.

2 weeks ago I was told by my vso and the 1-800 a decision was made (PTSD increase) but there was a "compentency issue proposed".

Have not gotten anything in the mail.

Now what?

John

Then you will receive the amount rewarded the next month. Do you expect retro pay? You should but it won't get released until you are found competent or incompetent. You can fight the incompetency but that would mean a C&P while incompetency will mean a need for a fiduciary. Fiduciary is a friend or family member that recieves the funds on your behalf because you have been found incompetent on how to spend funds. That's it.

John- it is hard to know what you feel would be best to do.

If you can get a letter stating your are competent from a doc and then get it to the VA right away then they might not even attempt to propose incompetency.

You might get a more detailed status if you use the Contact IRIS system at the VA web site.

Do you have a vet rep?

Berta, Hello my name is Bryant Mastrangelo and I am in a similar situation as John. I was wanting to know after the fact that I did not disagree with the incompetency but in fact I requested my mother as fiduciary and now we are awaiting a rater's decision and a field examiner to come and interview us. I am receiving the 100% IU pay now but I am awaiting Retro pay. How long will it take to release the Retro? It has been 2 months so far. Thanks for any time you take to read or respond to this.