VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eye Movement Desensitization And Reprocessing (edmr) Treatment

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

Has anyone been through this treatment, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EDMR) Treatment? i had my first meeting with a VA social worker after being referred by the Physc. I am not sure how well it works, but the social says it is good and after a few treatments i will be "cured." You recall events, then sit infront of moving LED light and it helps your brain somehow.

My question, if I don't like the treatment, can I request normal counselling in lieu of EDMR? I am not SC for PTSD now, but plan to file once I receive my records and I don't want to screw up my claim by requesting a different treament.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I hope to file this week, i just want a copy of the physc eval before I send in the claim. I should have it this week or next, so i will file asap once I receive it.

My concern with changing treatments is having the VBA screwing up my claim becaue I didn't like the EDMR, but I don't want to waste me time either. First appt in Thursday, so it shall be interesting.

• HadIt.com Elder

I really do not think the VBA cares what kind of treatment you have. Just so long as you can demonstrate that your diagnosed disability has been treated

Ok I finally got my records from the VA re: my mental health eval. She diagnosed me with PTSD. the report lists the following

Assessment and Diagnosis:

AXIS I: PTSD, cognitive d/o NOS 2/2 TBI

AXIS II: none

AXIS III: osteopenia; s/p traumatic injuries to knees and T12 spine; hearing loss, asthma

AXIS IV: -

AXIS V: 65

Assessment: 39 yo M with PTSD due to combat in Iraq...PT tended to minimize symptoms and he may be feeling worse then he indicates.

Is 65 my GAF score? What should I ask for when filling for PTSD Service connection. I have always been told to ask for a certain rating percentage, then you can't compain if you don't get it. Reviewing the rating schedule, I would guess 30% or 50%.

Thanks. BTW, i had my first EDMR treatment, complete waste of time. I am going back tomorrow, but would prefer not to waste my time. Not sure how to get out of these treatments?

Hi Bergie-

My name is Melissa. Just joined maybe an hour ago and did an introduction...SO my reply to your post is my first "official posting". As I was reading through all the PTSD topics, yours stuck out to me. I did the Prolonged Exposure like you did. Week after week talking about every disgusting detail with the "therapist" I really thought it worked and maybe it did for the first month or so....but I have to say that what I have experienced is that the followup to this intense therapy SUCKS... How is it that they expect you to invite it all in with a complete stranger who claims to care and then just send you on your way?? I was feeling so brave because I thought it did work that I decided to go back to where I was stationed and confront it all.. maybe find closure. I stood there infront of the actual place and called this "therapist" who I had dont the imaginal exposure so many times with..she could not have been more UNINTERESTED.. she left me there in an emotional mess. I drove 1400 miles to do this and felt SO betrayed so when I got home I decided not to go back to her. She calls me and yells at me for quitting.. WTF?? I quickly learned that it is all part of thier little study and I was just a number- a 50 minute appointment. All that exposure and all it did was cause more damage...

She says shes still available to treat me.....uh... like id ever tell her anything.

thanks for listening

M

I have done prolonged exposure (PE), overall I'd have to say it sucked. It was 12 weeks and following the 12 weeks they cut me loose and left me hanging. Also, if like me you have several stressors than your screwed because PE will only focus on one event. Ironically I just got my VA records for the past year on Saturday. My PE was a research trial and I was told there would be no progress notes in my VA medical file. Well guess what, I was lied to because my therapist documented progress notes following each encounter. Even saying I had improved following the completion. Go figure, I may have improved with respect to the one stressor we focused on, but not the others and now I'm no better off since they cut me loose. Anyway, I gave up on the VA psych program and now receive weekly counseling from the Vet Center. They are much better than the VA, layed back and I can go there as long as I want, no time limit like the VA. So if you feel the VA is not meeting your needs try the Vet Center, I think you will be happier.

Good luck,

Bergie

Axis Information explained a little - borrowed from elsewhere.

Axis I is the Main Psychiatric Diagnosis. (e.g.: Manic-Depressive, OCD, PTSD etc.) <br style="min-width: 0px; ">Axis II is any other Psch Condition that is impacting on Axis I <br style="min-width: 0px; ">Axis III is any medical condition that impacts on Axis I <br style="min-width: 0px; ">Axis IV is any social/economic condition that impacts on Axis I (i. e. going through Divorce, High Debt or whatever.) <br style="min-width: 0px; ">Axis V is the GAF.