VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On 100% And Still Working

Rate this question

Fire Courage

Question

I had read on here on numerous occassions that you can be 100% and still work as long as that 100% is not for a mental condition. Is that in some VA Title or document?

I have a vet friend who is 70%, but 30% is for PTSD. He just had a C&P for an increase in 3 other conditions (not PTSD), but is afraid he won't be able to continue to work if granted 100%. He wants his 100%, but wants to continue working.

I have told him that he should be fine as long as his 100% is not all mental. But, he doesn't believe me. :D

Is there some documentation somewhere that I can show this vet that can prove to him he can continue working?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Max Clelland is a good example-

He certainly suffered numerous dehabilitating injuries in Vietnam.Loss of use of three extremities.

I dont know if he ever applied for VA comp but surely presented a 100% disabling picture.

He didn't even acknowledge his PTSD until many years after his employment at the VA-

as Secretary of the VA.

It took him 2 hours to prepare to get to work daily as far as showering, shaving,preparing and eating breakfast and dressing and over an hour to get home every day as a documentary on him showed.

Lewis Puller too- Chesty's son -was critically disabled in Vietnam and could easily satisfied the 100% schedular criteria. I dont know if he got VA comp.He was employed at VA Central as a lawyer for many years until his PTSD got to him.

I would like to add some up to date info. about this subject. I'm not sure if this VA official knows what he's talking about but here it is. I am 100% P&T without tdiu and have been for over 11-yrs. After reading on this site & others for over a yr. about vets at 100% (maybe working). A yr ago I called the 1-800-827-1000 # and asked if I could work. Three diff. times over the last yr I made the same call, with three diff. people saying I could go to work without it hurting my VA benefits. So, being the suspicious type about the VA I contacted my Senator asking if she could also get a straight answer about this from the VA. Well, low and behold a few weeks ago I get a letter from my Senator with a letter from the VA enclosed (hissing & scowling) that I may be 100% scheduler P&T but 70% of that is from Depression (because of pain from the other 50, 40, 30 and 20% of injury) and if I were to go to work MY depression may have improved and working may impact my benefits because I was not protected under the 20-yr rule.

So I would be very careful of working unless it's been officially approved. Course I'd like to prove this A**S wrong but I don't think I have the emotional strength too fight them.

I hope this is helpful,

David

• HadIt.com Elder

For me if you need some kind of activity to keep you from being bored try volunteering.

Working is risky unless you are 100% for a physical condition.