VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cp Exam Notes

Rate this question

Ryguy

Question

Hi, i picked up my c&p exam notes today. this is what it says

Assessment

1. Major Depression with anxiety

2 NA

3. Back injury with lumbosacral strain.

4. No support

5. 65

Edited by Ryguy

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Assessment

2 NA

3. Back injury with lumbosacral strain. flat foot condition

4. No support

5. 65

Does that mean he thinks i deserve 65%???

Ryguy,

Welcome to Hadit.

No that doesn't mean he thinks you deserve 65 %.

It means your Global Assessment Functioning Score is 65 %.

carlie

Ryguy,

Welcome to Hadit.

No that doesn't mean he thinks you deserve 65 %.

It means your Global Assessment Functioning Score is 65 %.

carlie

As I remember 65 GAF is real good 70 being normal,, or am I wrong

20 being lock me up

most guys would seem to have to have a GAF below 50 for a rating

I am usually wrong, so what is it?

• HadIt.com Elder

First GAF is only a part of what is used for rating. Under 50% indicates unemployment and the possibility of a 100% rating in some form or another.

Good Luck

I borrowed this from elsewhere.

carlie

" Here is a basic explanation on what the numbers actually mean:

GAF

100-91

Superior functioning in a wide range of activities. Life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many positive qualities. No symptoms.

90-81

Absent or minimum symptoms (e.g. mild anxiety before an exam), good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns ("e.g.. an occasional argument with family members)

80-71

If symptoms are present, they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stressors (e.g., difficulty concentrating after family argument); no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g temporarily falling behind in schoolwork).

70-61

Some mild symptoms (e.g., depressed mood and mild insomnia) OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., occasional truancy, or theft within the household), but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

60-51

Moderate symptoms (e.g.. flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers).

50-41

Serious symptoms(e.g., suicidal ideation, severe obsessional rituals, frequent shoplifting) OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., no friends, unable to keep a job).

40-31

Some impairment in reality testing or communication (e.g... speech is at times illogical, obscure, or irrelevant) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood (e.g depressed man avoids friends, neglects family, and is unable to work: child frequently beats up younger children. Is defiant at home, and is failing at school).

30-21

Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment in communications or judgment (e.g., sometimes incoherent, acts grossly inappropriately, suicidal preoccupation) OR inability to function in almost all areas. (e.g. stays in bed all day; no job, home, or friends).

20-11

Some danger of hurting self or others (e.g., suicide attempts without clear expectation of death, frequency violent; manic excitement) OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene (e.g smears feces) OR gross impairment in communication (e.g. largely incoherent or mute.)

10-0

Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others. (e.g. recurrent violence) OR recurrent inability to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR Serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

What does the GAF mean to my overall rating?

Well, its subjective. some people get a GAF of 45 and receive a 100% rating and others with a GAF of 45 could end up with a 50% rating. Its really just a guide.

In the letter used earlier to raters the VA explains its position on the GAF score:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not base a rating solely or mainly on the GAF score. The GAF score does not translate directly to the rating schedule criteria.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to see a general guide on how the GAF may correspond to ratings here it is:"The rule of thumb for the amounts the VA assigns for psychiatric disabilities is:

GAF Percentage

0-40=100%

41-50=70%

51-60=50%

61-70=30%

71-80=10%

81-100=0%

Raters may choose to ignore this, but it does give you a general idea

of where you stand."

I borrowed this from elsewhere.

carlie

" Here is a basic explanation on what the numbers actually mean:

GAF

100-91

Superior functioning in a wide range of activities. Life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many positive qualities. No symptoms.

90-81

Absent or minimum symptoms (e.g. mild anxiety before an exam), good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns ("e.g.. an occasional argument with family members)

80-71

If symptoms are present, they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stressors (e.g., difficulty concentrating after family argument); no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g temporarily falling behind in schoolwork).

70-61

Some mild symptoms (e.g., depressed mood and mild insomnia) OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., occasional truancy, or theft within the household), but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

60-51

Moderate symptoms (e.g.. flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers).

50-41

Serious symptoms(e.g., suicidal ideation, severe obsessional rituals, frequent shoplifting) OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., no friends, unable to keep a job).

40-31

Some impairment in reality testing or communication (e.g... speech is at times illogical, obscure, or irrelevant) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood (e.g depressed man avoids friends, neglects family, and is unable to work: child frequently beats up younger children. Is defiant at home, and is failing at school).

30-21

Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment in communications or judgment (e.g., sometimes incoherent, acts grossly inappropriately, suicidal preoccupation) OR inability to function in almost all areas. (e.g. stays in bed all day; no job, home, or friends).

20-11

Some danger of hurting self or others (e.g., suicide attempts without clear expectation of death, frequency violent; manic excitement) OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene (e.g smears feces) OR gross impairment in communication (e.g. largely incoherent or mute.)

10-0

Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others. (e.g. recurrent violence) OR recurrent inability to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR Serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

What does the GAF mean to my overall rating?

Well, its subjective. some people get a GAF of 45 and receive a 100% rating and others with a GAF of 45 could end up with a 50% rating. Its really just a guide.

In the letter used earlier to raters the VA explains its position on the GAF score:

Quote:

Do not base a rating solely or mainly on the GAF score. The GAF score does not translate directly to the rating schedule criteria.

If you would like to see a general guide on how the GAF may correspond to ratings here it is:"The rule of thumb for the amounts the VA assigns for psychiatric disabilities is:

GAF Percentage

0-40=100%

41-50=70%

51-60=50%

61-70=30%

71-80=10%

81-100=0%

Raters may choose to ignore this, but it does give you a general idea

of where you stand."

Ok, thanks everyone for your opinions and explanations. Reading on this forum, had me confused, with the good stories and the bad stories. I really am loving this site because it gives those of us who are having issues some insight. I just hope I could really get 30 percent for this, as i really am in need with this depression stuff. Also I was wondering do they also look at the doctors notes where he says I have major depression with anxiety or do you think they would focus more on the GAF numbers?

Hi, i picked up my c&p exam notes today. this is what it says

Assessment

2 NA

3. Back injury with lumbosacral strain. flat foot condition

4. No support

5. 65

Does that mean he thinks i deserve 65%???

Conclusion: The patient has major depression with anxiety and is unable to work due to constant pain causing anxiety, anhedonia (which means lack of desire to have pleasure), isolation, irritability, and passive suicidal ideation. Since unemployment, unstructured time has caused a deterioration in pt's condition. Decreased mobility has also increased all symptoms. Pt. had no emotional problems before service. Pt's depression with anxiety is the result of his back and foot injury received in service. He receives opt treatment and medication for both depression and anxiety with some improvement.

This sounds like i almost won my case its all true and relevant, any thoughts???